Top 10 Most Interesting Buckingham Palace Facts
If you are interested in the British Monarchy you should head over to Westminster, London to brush up on your Buckingham Palace facts. Although the palace is still to this day used for Royal ceremonies and State visits, its State rooms are also open between July and September to any general public curious about how the ruling class live. From the Buckingham Palace guards outside to the opulent decor inside, Buckingham palace tours treat the senses in a grand fashion. Here are some Buckingham Palace facts to pique your interest:
1. Buckingham palace is a working building that has over 770 rooms and houses the support-staff for The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.
2. The palace is lavishly appointed in museum-quality furnishings from the Royal Collection, and is home to one of the world’s most renowned art collections, featuring works by the likes of Rembrandt, Vermeer, and many more.
3. If you want to know if The Queen is home, look for a flag atop the palace, indicating “The Queen is here!”
4. Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard is a complex and time-honored ceremony. Full of tradition and regalia, the experience is best accompanied by a companion guide book, which can explain the Buckingham Palace facts behind the ceremony.
5. Many people don’t realize that the Buckingham Palace guards are actual serving soldiers, not just symbolic figures participating in a ceremony.
6. Buckingham Palace is a great starting point if you want to spend a day sightseeing by foot.
7. You can find the river Thames, Big Ben, St. James’ Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Square and more, all within walking distance.
8. The Royal Mews, located on palace grounds, houses the Queen’s horse-drawn carriage and motor vehicles. Additionally, all the State vehicles are kept and serviced there, including the Golden State Coach that is used for Coronations.
9. The Queen’s Gallery hosts a variety of art exhibitions throughout the year.
10. The Tower Bridge is not far from the Buckingham Palace, and it is worth the trip to learn of some fascinating Tower Bridge facts.
It’s impossible to list all the interesting Buckingham Palace facts in one article. You must walk the grounds and experience the majesty in person to fully understand the significance of this historical masterpiece.