Top 25 Things To Do In San Francisco – Tips From Locals!
When planning a trip to San Francisco, it is important to find fun things to do while on vacation. Whether you will be in San Francisco for a day or a week you will find that there are plenty of things to do in San Francisco for the entire family regardless of where your interests lie. We have done the hard work for you by finding the top 25 things to do in San Francisco.
1. Golden Gate Bridge – Take a walk across this iconic landmark and enjoy the amazing views of San Francisco and the Bay.
2. Alcatraz – No trip to San Francisco is complete without visiting one of the most famous prisons in the world. This is the former home of gangsters such as George “Machine Gun” Kelly and Al Capone. This is definitely one of the most popular San Francisco tourist attractions.
3. Marin Headlands – Located in Golden Gate Recreation Area this is a great place to learn about the histories of topics from the Miwok Native Americans and the Military.
4. Fisherman’s Wharf – If you are looking for great fresh seafood this is the place to go. There are also wonderful shops to pick up souvenirs and gifts.
5. Marrakech Magic Theatre – If you are wondering what to do in San Francisco, be sure to check out the shows featuring magician Peter Morrison as well as comedy shows.
6. Golden Gate Park – Spend the day visiting the museums, picnic next to the lake and watch the bison meander by.
7. Gilroy Gardens – This is great theme park located just outside the city. With over 40 rides, this one of the best fun things to do in San Francisco with kids. They will love rides such as the Apple & Worm, Banana Split and the Balloon Flight.
8. San Francisco Zoo – This is one of the most popular zoos in the country and is home to many exotic animals including tigers, gorillas and several reptiles. There are over 250 different species of animals to check out.
9. Chinatown – this is one of the most popular things to do in San Francisco. Whether looking for authentic Chinese food or the perfect gift, this is the place to go as it is the most heavily populated Chinese neighborhood outside of China.
10. Walt Disney Family Museum – Get a first-hand glimpse of the history behind the creation of Walt Disney World by visiting this unique museum.
11. Wine Tasting – California is well-known for its wonderful wines. Enjoy sampling some of these wines such as Dee Vine wines and Robert Mondavi.
12. San Francisco Bay – This is a popular waterway which flows into several rivers before flowing into the Pacific Ocean. This is one of the places you will definitely want to see.
13. Asian Art Museum – Marvel at the beautiful Japanese, Indian and Chinese art on display.
14. Exploratorium – This is an amazing museum of science and art where the entire family will be able to “play” with the interactive exhibits as well as visit the planetarium.
15. SS Jeremiah O’Brien – this is one of the two still functional WWII ships where visitors will be able tour this living museum.
16. Cable Car Museum – Learn about the history and technology of the cable car as you enjoy the collection of historic cable cars as well as many photographs.
17. Japanese Tea Garden – This is the oldest Japanese garden in the United States. In addition to the beauty of the gardens and the Koi ponds visitors will be able to observe a traditional Japanese tea ceremony every Wednesday by appointment.
18. Rrazz Room – This is one of the most popular Jazz clubs in the Bay area where guests are treated to cabaret and jazz shows as well as comedy and other musical entertainment.
19. Angel Island State Park – Take a ferry or private boat and visit this park and their historic sites. There are many hiking and biking trails for the adventurous type.
20. Union Square – If you are looking for popular SF attractions, this is the place to go. Visitors will have easy access to restaurants, shopping and theater.
21. Palace of Fine Arts – This is one of the most popular San Francisco museums featuring many events including Miss Chinatown USA.
22. San Francisco Ballet – This is one of the oldest ballet companies in the country where visitors can catch a ballet or fashion show.
23. Wells Fargo History Museum – This museum depicts the history of Wells Fargo and includes gold rush tools and old banker’s tools.
24. Nob Hill – This is one of the most popular things to do in San Francisco. There is an abundance of shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
25. Ocean Beach – While you will not want to swim here as the currents are very strong, it is a great place to just enjoy the beach and build sand castles with the kids or rent a horse and enjoy a romantic sunset ride along the beach.
When visiting this exciting and fun city, you will need several days or more to enjoy the many fun things to do in San Francisco.