Top 10 Things To Do in Spain – Your Spanish Bucket List!
The things to do in Spain are as varied as the people who visit the country. Spain is full of history and glorious architecture mixed with green spaces, museums and art collections for the ages. The Spain landmarks are many, and the cities as individual as the people who live there. So for a bucket list of things to do in Spain, we criss-cross the country to find the very best:
1. One of the most iconic landmark Madrid is famous for is the Royal Palace of Madrid, the official residence, if not home of the royal family. It is one of those things to do in Spain that mixes grandeur with history as it is hundreds of years old and boasts more than 3000 rooms.
2. Pamplona running of the bulls is a spectacle that occurs each July. Here brave people take to the street hoping to outrun 6 angry bulls as they make their way to the bullfighting ring. It is a dangerous predicament, but one which many want to take on at least once in their lifetime.
3. Parc Guell is a park in Barcelona that was created for the aristocracy. There are phenomenal stone sculptures, fountains, architectural buildings, many mosaics and twisting rock pillars that highlight the area that also has a terrace overlooking the city and a small museum nestled on the property.
4. If you like art, one of the top things to do in Madrid is to visit the highly acclaimed Prado Museum. It is home to centuries worth of art from paintings to sculptures to drawings, all housed in a beautiful museum in the heart of the city.
5. The Alhambra Palace in Grenada was at first a fortress dating back to 889 and later a royal palace built in 1333. The landmark is a beautiful example of Arab-Islamic architecture and is a World Heritage Site. See the Court of Lions, the beautiful arabesques and don’t forget to look up to marvel at the exceedingly ornate ceilings.
6. Montserrat is a majestic mountain top monastery that sits some 1236 meters above the valley floor. Visitors can access the monastery via cable car or funicular railway up the jagged beauty of the Catalan Pre-Coastal Range.
7. One of the things to do in Barcelona, should you find yourself in the city is a visit to the Museu Picasso, home to 3500 of Pablo Picasso’s world famous pieces. 5 adjoined medieval palaces house the museum and its works, the most extensive collection in the world.
8. Ibiza s an island in the Mediterranean Sea located about 79 km off the coast of Valencia. It is one of those essential things to do in Spain if you are looking to party, as the nightlife there is legendary. By day enjoy the warm waters and pretty sand beaches or visit one of the many World Heritage Sites that are on the island.
9. The Oceanografic is Europe’s largest aquarium, located in Valencia. It is home to all of the world’s main marine ecosystems, housed in several buildings and featuring an underwater restaurant, shark tanks, and playful penguins to name but a few of the features.
10. The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is a museum of modern and contemporary art that has an interesting architectural design on the outside and houses large scale installations among other things on the inside. With changing exhibits, it is another arty thing to do in Spain that is definitely something to experience.
If Spain is on your wish list of must go to places, then some if not all of these places to see should be on that bucket list!