Top 10 Things To Do in Sofia Bulgaria
When planning your Bulgarian vacation, the first step is to find some of the cheap flights to Bulgaria. The next thing that needs to be done is find things to do in Sofia. Bulgaria is a country that is surrounded by history and culture. This leaves many fun and interesting things to do in Sofia. Below is a list of the top ten things to do in Sofia, Bulgaria.
1. Russian Church of St. Nicholas – This is a beautiful piece of architecture that was built in 1914 and is believed to have been commissioned by a homesick Russian Diplomat. This is considered to be one of Sofia’s finest monuments.
2. Mount Vitosha – This is one of the most popular of the Bulgaria tourist attractions. This mountain stands at about 1800 meters above sea level and is conveniently located just ten kilometers from Sofia. Mount Vitosha offers amazing skiing in the winter as well as trekking in the summer. There is also a wall for rock climbing.
3. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral – This is another magnificent piece of architecture found in Bulgaria. The foundation for the cathedral was poured in 1882 although the construction didn’t take place until 1904-1912. This cathedral is actually a memorial to the over 200,000 soldiers that fell during the Russian – Ottoman War of 1877/1878.
4. National Palace of Culture – This is a very interesting looking multi-functional complex of modern architecture and plastic arts. There are more than 100 exhibits featuring sculpture, wood-carving, metal and plastic. More steel was used in building this structure than used in building the Eiffel Tower.
5. National Gallery for Foreign Art – This gallery is home to many international exhibits such as African art, Indian sculpture as well as Modern Spanish art of the 20th Century.
6. Archeological Museum – The museum was founded in 1892 and is the oldest museum in all of Bulgaria. The Archeological Museum houses over 55,000 monuments as well as 1.3 million coins. Among other exhibits are ancient artifacts from medieval Bulgarian cities.
7. Borisova Garden – This is a beautiful place to take a stroll. Originally established in 1884, the garden was named after Tsar Boris III. While walking through the garden, visitors can enjoy such sights as the Vasil Levski National Stadium, Lake Ariana as well as Eagles Bridge.
8. Statue of St. Sofia – This is a must-see while finding things to do in Sofia. This beautiful piece of art was only constructed about five years ago. While the citizens of Sofia adore the statue, the church condemns it. They believe that it is not a proper religious rendition of a saint. They find it to be more fitting as a Greek goddess as she is dressed in a tight fitting gown with a low neckline.
9. Public Mineral Baths – These are also called Turkish Baths. They were originally built in 1911 – 1913. This is one of Sofia’s more notable archaeological finds. Currently the baths are going through a restoration and when completed they will also be home to a civic museum.
10. National Theater – The theater was built in 1907 making it the oldest theater in Bulgaria. It is a beautiful work of art adorned with Apollo and her Muses. Guests can enjoy plays, the opera as well as ballet.
With all of these fun things to do in Sofia visitors will not find a moment where they are unable to find something fun to do. Many of the hotels in Sofia, Bulgaria are very conveniently located to many of these attractions.