Top 10 Things To Do in Savannah GA For Free
Visitors of Savannah, Georgia will fall in love with its southern charm and the quaint feel of its history and people. If you are planning a trip to the area , you will be pleased to find that there is no shortage of things to do in Savannah GA and that many of the best Savannah Georgia attractions are absolutely free! Here is a list of top 10 things to do in Savannah GA for free:
1. Spend a day bird-watching and walking long nature trails on a lush barrier island at the Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge. However, Blackbeard’s island requires a reservation in advance and hiring the boat is not free unless you have your own acquaintance.
2. Visit the birthplace of Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Low, tour her historic home, and view her paintings in the onsite museum. The museum is free on Super Museum Sunday which happens to be one of the first Sundays in the month of February.
3. Take a guided tour of Skidaway Island State Park and walk among lush landscapes, or climb up the observation deck for a sprawling nature view. A unique opportunity to see the coastal region of Georgia, have a picnic and explore Georgia’s interesting flora and fauna.
4. Spanning across a 160 acre lot is one of the most picturesque cemeteries in the country with well maintained gardens and unique architectural elements. Take a serene walk through Bonaventure Cemetery and visit the graves of some of Savannah history’s most notable characters for a day of picturesque sightseeing. An average tour lasts about 2 hours but you can make it an all day affair absolutely for free as you roam the paths and gardens surrounding amazing tombs and headstones.
5. Visit the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, a natural preserve on the South Carolina border, and get a glimpse of southern wildlife untouched. Winter is one of the best times to spot diverse bird species ranging from local ducks and geese to migrating mallards, songbirds, pintails and others in addition to amazing marine creatures like American alligators and manatees.
6. The Savannah GA historic district is the must-see of must-sees for anyone looking for things to do in Savannah GA, packed full of busy eateries, unique shops, and beautiful examples of southern American architecture.
7. Once a World War II airfield, Pickney Island National Wildlife Refuge offers visitors the pristine scenery of grassland, saltwater marsh, and deciduous woods habitats. Among things to do in Savannah GA for free visitors will enjoy hiking, byciling and birdwatching.
8. Hop a ferry for a free ride and take in a panoramic view of Savannah’s historic district, Hutchinson Island, and the Talmadge Bridge.
9. You’re sure to find plenty of inspiration amongst the Savannah city streets. Bring your camera, start walking, and snap away.
10. Walk through Columbia Square and tour a restored federal house. Nestled between York and State Streets, Columbia Square boasts a lovely “rustic” fountain embellished with floral motifs.
There are so many things to do in Savannah GA for free that you will need to look into hotels in Savannah GA. Enjoy southern charm and modern amenities at the Mulberry Inn Savannah GA, unpack your bags and stay a while!