Top 10 Things To Do in Sanibel Island
There are many things to do in Sanibel Island, besides pick or collect seashells. However, since it is the place where you can find exotic seashells or participate in seashell collection–based activities, it will take a bit of digging, no pun intended, to locate other activities.
In fact, of all of the places to visit in Florida, you will not find more areas aside from this island that celebrate sea shells, quite the way they do. But, when you are ready for something more interesting, you should be happy to know that your days and nights do not have to involve these wonderful, crunchy calcium based trinkets.
To assist you, you can find the top 10 things to do in Sanibel Island right here:
1. Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center – This may not sound like one of the fun things to do in Sanibel Island, but it is a must for anyone who really wants to know the history of this area. The staff is extremely helpful and will provide you with a ton of information.
2. J.N Darling National Wildlife Refuge – This is one of the more exciting things to do in Sanibel Island because of the large population of wildlife, especially birds. You can also spot a crocodile or two, along with a few sand turtles. Kayaking is also allowed.
3. Bowman’s Beach – This is a good spot for anyone who wants quite time and solitude. Couples, especially will appreciate the natural beauty of the beach and since there are no hotels around for miles, you will want to check out some of the Sanibel Island vacation rentals, which have access.
4. Sanibel Island lighthouse – Although the lighthouse is off limits to visitors, the land is open and there are excellent photo opportunities. If you are the type of person who loves to take shots while on vacation, you will definitely want to visit.
5. Sanibel Moorings Botanical Gardens – This is another of the things to do in Sanibel Island that have nothing to do with sea shells, with more than 6 acres of the most unusual and rare tropical flora and wildlife imaginable.
6. Great Calusa Beltway – This is one of the things to do in Sanibel Island that provides you with great views of the entire island. The ramp allows unlimited access to the Caloosahatchee River where the Alva draw bridge is. You can see a few pelicans and dolphins while you have lunch in the warm afternoon sunshine.
7. Seminole Casino Immokalee – If you are staying in Sanibel Island or one of the nearby Fort Myers Beach hotels, you can arrive here within a half hour or so and spend a few hours playing poker, blackjack or any of the other wonderful table games. They also have a number of slots. You can enjoy dinner and maybe catch a show.
8. Sanibel Marina – Enjoy a day of fishing. This area is infamous for Seat trout, Mackerel, Flounder, Bass, Grouper, Snapper and more. You could even snag a shark. You won’t need a license as long as you are in a fully licensed vessel, so make sure you charter your boat and enjoy.
9. Finnimore’s Cycle Shop – You can rent a bike for the day and spend your time riding along the marked pathways along the island. This is a great way to explore without having to spend a lot of money. If you want to use the bike on trails in the parks, you can do that too.
10. Beachview Golf and Tennis Club – Avid golfers know Sanibel Island is legendary for their courses. This golf course has 18 holes of championship level courses for you to challenge yourself.