Top 10 Things To Do in New Orleans For FREE!
The free things to do in New Orleans are best discovered when you divide them into sections, like the French Quarter and Downtown. This will give you a brand new perspective of city and help you understand why it is so celebrated, both by the residents and visitors. You really want to make the most of the time you have to spend here.
The top 10 free things to do in New Orleans can be found by reading the list below:
1. Attend the Mardi Gras festival – Of course, everyone who comes to New Orleans during a specific time of the year, wants to partake in Mardi Gras. It is the best way to get a feel for this region and the entire splendor. You can join the festivities and really let your hair down.
2. Spend time in Jackson Square – One of the best things to do in New Orleans is strolling through Jackson Square. Not only are the sights beautiful, but you can also experience a number of local artists working on their craft.
3. Woldenberg Park – Not only is this park close to many hotels near Bourbon Street, but also, it is the perfect spot to sit and watch the ships sail by along the mighty Mississippi River. Relax and have a picnic in this serene and majestic area.
4. Jazz Festival – The Jazz Festival New Orleans are held all through the year, sponsored by the Jazz and Heritage Foundation. One really special festival is the Satchmo Summer Fest. It pays homage to Louis Armstrong.
5. Tour Royal and Bourbon Streets – Everyone knows the two most famous streets in New Orleans are Royal and Bourbon Streets and there are quite a number of French Quarter hotels here as well. If you are lucky enough to find one to book during your vacation, you can simply walk right out and begin exploring immediately.
6. Visit the Cathedral-Basilica – Many of the free things to do in New Orleans feature this cities rich religious aspect. This is no exception. The Cathedral-Basilica is older than any other Catholic cathedral in the United States.
7. Barataria Preserve – This is a park, measuring 20,000 acres and is always one of the fun free things to do in New Orleans because you can check out the hiking trails, strewn along the famous New Orleans bayous, marshes, swamps and forests.
8. French Market – Of course, one of the top free things to do in New Orleans is to visit the famous French Market that reminds many visitors a true European outdoor marketplace. Sample lots of produce for free and stroll around the area to enjoy street artists’ works and music.
9. Le Bon Temps Roule Bar and Sandwich – You can even find free food in New Orleans, right here on Friday night. For one hour, between 7 and 8 pm, they offer out free oysters to all.
10. Feed the ducks – Travel to City Park, which is an enormous 1,300 acres and feed the ducks that sail along the lagoon. You can also spot artwork at the sculpture garden.