Top 10 Things To Do in Memphis TN
While Memphis, Tennessee is best known as the place where Elvis Presley lived, there are some many other things to do in Memphis, TN. Memphis is known as the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock ‘n roll. When planning a trip to Memphis, be sure to make sure you have plenty of time to experience all of the fun things to do in Memphis, TN. Here we have compiled a list of the top 10 things to do while in Memphis.
1. Graceland Mansion – If you don’t get to do anything else, be sure to take one of these amazing tours. You will be able to walk in the footsteps of the Kind of Rock ‘n Roll, Elvis. In addition to visiting the King’s home, you will be able to watch video, and browse photos as well as see the flamboyant costumes that he was so well known for. This is definitely one of the most popular Memphis attractions.
2. Memphis Rock and Soul Museum – This museum was created by the Smithsonian Institution and depicts the history of rock and soul music.
3. Center for Southern Folklore – Enjoy learning about the history, culture and lifestyle of the south. There are also wonderful live performances.
4. Mississippi River Museum – Visitors will enjoy learning about how the Mississippi River impacted the life of those that lived on it. Exhibits include, Transportation on the Mississippi, Exploration/Settlement and Civil War.
5. Children’s Museum of Memphis – This is one of the best things to do in Memphis, TN for children. The kids will enjoy the many hands-on exhibits such as the flight simulator, hot air balloon and earthquake simulator.
6. Mississippi River Cruises – There are several different 90-minute cruises to choose from such as a sightseeing cruise, dinner cruise and Valentine’s cruise.
7. Memphis Zoo – This is one of the best things to do in Memphis, TN if you have children. The kids will marvel at the over 2,800 animals, 400 species. In addition to the animal exhibits such as Gorillas, Pandas and Zebras there is also a children’s farm and daily ice skating from November through January.
8. Java Cabana – After a day of sightseeing and enjoying all Memphis has to offer, be sure to stop by this little coffee houses. Visitors are always amazed by the relaxing atmosphere and the scrumptious food, coffee and homemade milkshakes.
9. Gibson Factory – Not only will you be able to tour the birthplace of Rock ‘n Roll, but you can see how one of the most famous instruments is made. Visitors are able to watch each step of the creation of each individual Gibson guitar.
10. Burkle Estate Museum – This is the former home of the Burkle family. It was revealed several years ago that this was a major stop on the Underground Railroad. There are many tours and information about slave trade, the message system and travel patterns.
There are so many fun and interesting things to do in Memphis, TN that one could explore for weeks and still not see everything there is to see. This is a great choice if planning a southern vacation.