Top 10 Things To Do in Maui
The “Magic Isle” is the second largest island of the Hawaiian archipelago islands and has been voted multiple times as one of the best places to visit in Hawaii. The ultimate destination for outdoor lovers opens endless opportunities to enjoy beautiful island’s surroundings by trying out various land and water based things to do in Maui.
Whether you are looking for fun things to do in Maui with kids or as a couple, please see our list below for top 10 suggestions.
- Maui Beach Going – First rated beaches on the planet by multiple travel magazines, Maui beaches are nothing short of spectacular. Warm and clear waters off the Maui coast provide ideal conditions for hordes of swimmers, surfers, snorkelers and scuba divers. The beach culture is so deeply integrated in the local way of life that it’s impossible to imagine any Hawaii vacation without it. The western part of the island lends to the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii, including Kaanapali Beach, the home to the famous local daily tradition, cliff diving ceremony that is a must to experience by any traveler to Maui.
- Visit Haleakala National Park – No Maui vacation is complete without visiting Hawaii Heritage Site, the Haleakala National Park spanning along the southeastern slopes of the island. The Park is a destination for outdoor enthusiasts setting on amazing hiking escapades on route to see winding waterfalls, lush tropical forests, unique fauna and flora. One of the best things to do in Maui is to experience Haleakala Sunrise Tour taking you all the way up to the summit of a dormant volcano to the “House of Sun”. Greet a new day and “touch the skies” while you experience unforgettable beauty of the Haleakala National Park.
- Explore Iao Valley State Park – The State park is home to one of the most recognized draws of Maui, Iao Needle. The green rock rises 1200 ft from its surrounding scenery and is a great destination point for your hiking or sightseeing journey. Iao Valley Maui is not only beautiful but it carries a lot of spiritual and historical heritage for Maui people. Tourists love exploring its sophisticated network of hiking trails, swim in the fresh water streams and soak in the amazing scenery.
- Molokini Snorkel Tour – If you enjoy snorkeling or scuba diving, you simply cannot miss taking one of breathtaking Molokini specialty tours. Located within a few miles off Maui’s coast, Molokini is a snorkeling paradise of Hawaii. Set on incredible snorkeling experiences and see beautiful coral reefs and exotic species of fish. You can book your tour at various locations, including Lahaina or Maalaea Harbors.
- Road to Hana Tour – The famous road from Kahului to Hana is surprisingly only 52 miles long, however, going on it is not for the weak at heart or individuals prone to motion sickness as you will be taking over 600 turns and going over 59 bridges. The reward is well worth it as travelers will be awarded with spectacular vistas opening in front of their eyes, picturesque waterfalls, cliffs and incredible seascapes. Once you get to Hana, you can enjoy swimming at the Hamoa beach that is continuously being mentioned by major travel magazines as one of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii.
- Maui Helicopter Tours – Sometimes exploring Maui by land or ocean is just not enough and you simply must experience the beauty and grandeur of Maui valleys, coastal views and forests from high above. Blue Hawaii Helicopters is the absolute leader in the aerial exploration industry of Hawaii allowing its guests to experience high class tours at their state of the art helicopters equipped with incredible sound system, clear glass panels opening sweeping views all around. Tours range anywhere from ½ hour to 2 hours and take you to see West and East parts of Maui, complete island experience or Maui spectacular with a bonus landing in Ulupalakua with refreshments served at incredible nature backdrops.
- Maui Hula and Luau – Hula is a traditional Hawaiian dance style that is best to be experienced in Maui. The dances, music and chanting retell stories of Hawaiian folk culture. Dive into the Hula culture by watching live shows offered by major hotels and visitors centers across the island or perhaps learn how to sway your hips by taking a hula lesson at your hotel. Attending a luau party will top just about any trip to Hawaii. Traditional luau is a feast of roasted pig, beef, chicken, fish and poi served while you enjoy beautiful hula dancing and chanting.
- Canoeing and Kayaking Tours – Maui’s incredible beaches and parks are one of the best places in the world to try exhilarating canoeing or kayaking adventures. If you are a water sports lover, there are no better things to do in Maui than paddle along island’s breathtaking coastline, see the raw beauty of its forests, mountains, volcanoes and sea life. If you are lucky you might observe humpback whales frolicking in the water in the distance, green turtles and dolphins. All tours last from 2-4 hours and are guided by experienced individuals able to instruct travelers even with the most basic skills of this water sport and get them enjoy the ocean in no time.
- Whale Watching – The warm, calm and shallow waters off west Maui are very inviting to large families of humpback whales arriving here to feed and breed. They are especially active during the season from January through April making whale watching some of the best things to do in Maui. Lahaina Harbor is the epicenter of whale watching tour industry in Maui. You can pick from a myriad of options depending on if you prefer low cost large group tours or higher cost but more intimate guided tours. During an average whale watching tour which lasts approximately 2-4 hours you should expect to see whales frolicking in the water, flap their tails and throw tall spouts of water out of their blow holes. According to local regulatory laws, no human or boat can approach whales closer than 100 yards, so equip yourself with power zoom cameras and a set of binoculars.
- Pampering – Nearly perfect weather all year round in Maui make outdoor pampering ideal. Combined with Hawaiian traditional spiritual techniques called lomi-lomi, your pampering is sure to become one of the best things to do in Maui for you. Lomi-lomi incorporates deep breathing exercises, chanting, prayer and relaxation to accomplish the ultimate spa going experience. Some massage therapists use lomi-lomi in combination with hot stones or deep tissue treatments.