Top 10 Things To Do in Italian Switzerland
Nestled in the south of the country and sharing a border with Italy is the area of Switzerland known as Italian Switzerland. Ticino and the city of Lugano have mountains, palm trees, beaches and forest with pretty much something for everyone. Here then are the top 10 things to do in Italian Switzerland:
1. One of the most popular of Switzerland’s tourist attractions is Lake Lugano, a picturesque spot surrounded by mountains and boasting parks and sculptures on her banks and boat tours to get closer to the sights.
2. Monte San Salvadore is another of those special things to do in Italian Switzerland that is Swiss through and through: taking a funicular railway to the top of a mountain. From the top of this one are sweeping views of the city and lake as well as many hiking trails.
3. For summer, nothing is better for things to do in Lugano Switzerland than a visit to the Lido Cumunale di Lugano, a combination beach and pool destination that also includes a kiddie splash area and diving pool.
4. Take two funicular railways and you’ll find yourself on top of Monte Bre where the views are spectacular and so is the atmosphere.
5. Casino Lugano is a clean and friendly gaming space set on three floors. Restaurants, bars and of course many games of chance can be yours at this casino which is another great place to visit in Switzerland.
6. Yes, this is one of the many things to do in Italian Switzerland, but it has a decidedly American feel. San Francisco Bowling has 16 lanes, darts, games and is a huge entertainment center that will have you feeling like you’re at home in no time.
7. Monte Tamaro is another mountain in the region that offers fun year round. Ski, sled, snowboard or hike, climb and bike, whatever the weather this is a safe bet for a day of fun.
8. Parco Civico is a park by the lake and close to many hotels in Lugano Switzerland. There are many walking paths, a playground and great views of the surrounding area not to mention plenty of flora to go around.
9. Museo Vela makes a change from the outdoorsy things to do in Italian Switzerland. Although it is housed in a magnificent old mansion in a park like setting, inside is the collection of sculptures and paintings that shouldn’t be missed.
10. A Switzerland tour can come in many shapes and sizes, but when in this region, take in a bike tour in Mendrisiotto where the industry and autobahn give way to gentle rolling hills and vineyards, picturesque villages and pastoral splendor.
This region may not be as popular as some of the others in the country, but with so many things to do in Italian Switzerland, it is an area that is surely worth a visit.