Top 10 Things To Do in Houston With Kids
Traveling with kids to Houston can be fun and rewarding if you take steps to plan ahead. Houston is one of the biggest cities in Texas and boasts some of the most exciting attractions for children of all ages. While looking for things to do in Houston with kids, keep in mind that it gets unbearably hot and humid in the city during the summer months. The best time to visit Houston, TX is early spring and late fall when the temperatures are especially pleasant for young travelers.
Read below where we have selected some fun things to do in Houston with your family.
1. Houston Aquarium is one of the top city’s destinations for kids. There you can explore almost 200 various species of sea creatures that are native to the Gulf of Mexico, including sharks, sting rays, turtles and many more. If your kids get tired of underwater life exploration, just hop on a Ferris Wheel or Aquatic Carousel where you can recharge and explore the Aquarium from the top. Downtown Aquarium in Houston tops our list of fun things to do in Houston with kids.
2. Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of the finest Science Museums in the USA. Here you and your children can explore many different fields of science, including astronomy, biology and zoology through a series of permanent and special guest exhibits that change frequently making your each following visit unique. Due to the large size of the Museum, it’s recommended you come early and stay late to see everything.
3. Houston Theatre District is located in downtown area and presents some of the fun things to do in Houston with kids. This 17 block long area holds so many different theatre venues that can introduce your children to the world of fine theatre arts like opera, symphony, ballet and performing arts.
4. Space Center is the place to visit for older children who are interested in astronomy, space ships and would like to learn more about space. A variety of hands on interactive exhibits are designed to arouse kids’ imagination and help kids enjoy their time at the Space Center at the fullest.
5. Discovery Green is a relatively new family friendly park that allows parents and kids to enjoy time outdoors. Walking trails set against natural sceneries are complimented with a giant playground and a high fountain where children like to frolic on especially hot Texas days.
6. David Wayne Hooks Airport. Got kids who love airplanes and helicopters? It’s hard to imagine a better place to go airplane watching as this private air field located on the northwest side of Houston. All sorts of small and big airplanes land and take off from this airport to your children’s ultimate amusement.
7. Forbidden Gardens present some great things to do in Houston with kids of older ages. Young teenagers will be thrilled to explore intricate Chinese terracotta army soldiers and smaller replicas of figures from the Chinese Forbidden City. Self touring is not allowed due to a delicate nature of the exhibits.
8. Sam Houston Park is the city’s oldest city part that allows its guest to explore the atmosphere of early Texas. Your children will get a chance to try their hand at churning butter and even play with antique toys. Premier downtown location is very convenient for many visitors coming to Houston, TX with children.
9. Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum. Discover what Texas is all about by visiting this former oil drilling site located on famous Pier 19 in Galveston. Interactive exhibits located on two floors of the museum allow older children to learn how oil and gas are produced and catch a head spinning view of the bay.
10. Splash Town is 53 acres worth of splashing, swimming and fun water rides under the hot sun in Houston. A variety of age appropriate rides and activities will entertain kids and adults of all ages.