Top 10 Things To Do in Hilo Hawaii
Your journey to Hawaii will more than likely begin with finding things to do in Hilo, which is filled with adventure, excitement and romance. If you are visiting on vacation, you might want to spend a lot of time relaxing on the black sand beaches. Or, you may have a more adventurous attitude and want to explore the area.
Whether you are thrill seeking or more laid back, there are plenty of things to do in Hilo to keep you very well entertained and looking for another reason to return again and again.
The top 10 things to do in Hilo are:
1. See the waterfalls – Rainbow Falls Hawaii is simply breathtaking. It measures 24 feet by 100 feet, which means it is wider than it is tall. This is the reason for the explosive rush of water, spray and energy unleashed as the water tumbles over.
2. See some more waterfalls – If you haven’t had your fill of waterfalls, head over to Akaka Falls State Park for a look at the famous of all waterfalls in Hawaii. Akaka Falls can be considered one of the best things to do in Hilo, even though it is not in Hilo. That’s because it’s just 10 minutes away and unlike other state parks, with winding twists and turns, you can reach Akaka Falls by just following a simple footpath.
3. Visit the two volcanoes with the most activity – Spending a day at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park means a short 45 minute ride. Once you arrive, you will be able to feast your eyes on millions of years of history in the land masses created from constant lava flow.
4. Relax in the garden – Lili’uokalani Gardens is a great choice for things to do in Hilo. It is absolutely the most serene place and a wonderful escape for couples. They have nice Japanese bridges that are stet on top of the peaceful stream. Great place for photos too.
5. Romp at Coconut Island – One of the top things to do in Hilo is fish and swim. So why not do both at Coconut Island. It’s right across the way from Lili’uokalani Gardens and is a wonderful place to lie in the water or bring a pole and fish a while.
6. Explore the universe at Imiloa Astronomy Center – Although most Big Island activities include sightseeing and spending time outdoors, this is a special treat for anyone who loves culture, the planets and stars. Enjoy a show at the planetarium and have a bite to eat at Sky Garden Café, which provides a wonderful buffet.
7. Check out Kaumana Cave – This is one of the newest lava tubes that stretches 2 ½ miles. The stairs allow you to descend easily enough and as long as you bring a flashlight or lantern, you can make some new discoveries or even enjoy a picnic.
8. Look for sealife – Leleiwi Beach Park is loaded with reef fish, sea turtles and more. There are also dolphins hanging around just waiting to be noticed. If you want to snorkel, this is the best location.
9. Go nutty – The Mauna Loa Macadamia Factory is a must for anyone visiting Hilo. Here you will see endless rows of macadamia plants and trees that are roasted in this facility and readily processed. You will also receive free samples.
10. Have a zoo day – The Panaewa Rainforest Zoo and Gardens has a white Bengal tiger, monkeys, rare birds including the state bird of Hawaii and more. Catch the feeding of the tiger for an extra treat.