Top 10 Things To Do in Chennai – Tips For Visitors!
Also known as Madras, you can find plenty of things to do in Chennai that won’t break your budget and will stir you to return as soon as possible. This is a very artistic and cultural city where many come to experience new and exciting things that they cannot find in other countries.
If you are going to India for the first time and are looking for things to do in Chennai, you are going to want a variety of attractions to review, and perhaps just a few tips to help you decide.
The top 10 things to do in Chennai are:
1. Visit a temple – Kapaleeshwarar Temple is the most impressive of all the places to visit in Chennai. Here you will see monumental architectural displays that date back thousands of years. There is also a massive, colored tower or Gopuram, known as the gateway.
2. See a movie – Sathyam Cinema is famous for their wonderful and explosive movies. They offer well over 100 choices so you will definitely find something worth seeing.
3. Go to a museum – Vivekananda House is more than a museum. It is a place where you can go to meditate and participate in a yoga class. True, they do have many famous works of art, including the Wandering Monk.
4. Visit the tomb of the apostle – San Thome Cathedral is a very massive Catholic church. The basement holds the final remains of St. Thomas, also known as Doubting Thomas. This is one of the more spiritual things to do in Chennai, especially for Christians.
5. Hang out at the beach – If you are looking for things to do in Chennai that include spending time near the water, head over to Marina Beach for the day. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to take a dip. They have intense rip tides there. However, you can stroll along the lovely beach, purchase fresh fish and even fly a kite.
6. Have a great meal – One of the best restaurants in Chennai, called Amethyst is open 12 hours a day. The ambience is so comforting. They have sofas instead of hard chairs and an exquisite garden that makes dining on the patio sublime.
7. Smoke a hookah – Mocha is a hip coffee shop where you can indulge in a hit off the hookah. This is a traditional tobacco and water-filled pipe. The grounds are lovely and if you book one of the Chennai hotels near railway station, you should be able to find this spot very easy.
8. Go shopping – Spend hours wandering around Spencer Plaza, which is the best way to shop for commercial-type products. It is the largest in the area and you can also soak up lots of Indian culture.
9. Read scrolls from thousands of years ago – If you are interested in the Buddhist scrolls that date back thousands of years, there’s no better place to visit than the Theosophical Society. They also have handmade bibles from the 19th century and a banyan tree that is 400 years old.
10. Purchase some great deli meats – One of the more unique Kerala hotels in Chennai that actually serves meat, deli-style meat to be exact. You may have to pay a little more, but if you are looking for a new experience, ask to sample their special meat.