Top 10 Things To Do in Belize
Are you anticipating a Caribbean cruise and looking for the most popular things to do in Belize? You have come to the right place, below we present some of the most important Belize tourist attractions for you to explore.
Belize, located in the Central America on the shores of the Caribbean Sea, with its second longest in the world Coral Reef system is a highly sought after destination among divers, snorkelers and travelers looking to uncover the secrets of ancient Mayan civilizations, set on thrilling jungle adventures and tasting world’s freshest seafood.
Please see below for a list of top 10 things to do in Belize.
1. Great Blue Hole Belize Helicopter Tours – Great Blue Hole is a circular underwater limestone structure standing out beautifully among the turquoise surrounding waters. The Lighthouse Barrier Reef partially wraps around the Great Blue Hole creating a unique spectacle that is best explored from bird’s eye view. Schedule a helicopter adventure to see the scenic aerial views of Belize coastline and the famous Great Blue Hole.
2. Underwater Adventures – Belize Lighthouse Reef, second largest in the world, is a paradise for divers, snorkelers and water sport enthusiasts of all sorts. Indeed, the beauty of the area, the richness of the underwater world create unforgettable, once in a lifetime opportunities to try the best things to do in Belize. Ambergris Caye and Turneffe Islands are one of many spectacular diving and snorkeling sites bringing Caribbean marine life closer to you.
3. Visit Altun Ha Mayan Ruins – The most accessible site of ancient Mayan ruins showcasing a large square with pyramids and temples. One of the important highlight of the Altun Ha is the Temple of the Masonry Altars that had once housed a massive head of a Mayan Sun God made of pure jade. If you climb the steps to the top of the pyramids, panoramic views of the site will open in front of you.
4. Tour Caracol Mayan Ruins – Visit the largest archaeological site in Belize to witness amazing pyramids, temples and tombs of the Greatest Mayan Empire. Caana Temple is the tallest of all temples on Belize jutting into the sky for 143 feet.
5. Belize Cave Tubing – One of the fun things to do in Belize, more and more cruise ship goers opt to take these exhilarating adventure rides. Before you set off tubing, you will take a short hike through Belize rainforest jungle to the Caves Branch River where your journey begins. Once you put on your life vest jackets and sit snugly inside your inner tube, the adventure begins traveling down the river through an amazing cave infrastructure.
6. Belize Fishing – Whether you favor reef, fly or deep sea fishing, rest assured that Belize is one of the best places in the world to set on fishing adventures. Various species of fish could be caught including snapper, jacks, grouper, barracuda and many others. You can choose from half or day or a full day fishing tours lasting from 4 to 8 hours. Fishing boats are equipped with life vests, fishing gear and anything you might need to enjoy all day family fishing. Best of all, your guide can cook your catch on fire right on the beach. Alternatively, you can hire a glass bottom tour boat to get you to some of the abundant in sea life places to admire incredible Caribbean underwater life.
7. ATV Jungle Tour – Not only ATV fans will enjoy the thrill of zooming through the Belize jungle on Honda ATV’s. Drive along or with a partner along the dirt roads of the Belize rainforest to see unique trees, environment and simply have a good time. ATV Jungle adventures could be combined with cave tubing experience.
8. Belize City – Most tourists do not think that there are a lot of things to do in Belize City and forego it in favor of water sports, Mayan ruins and jungle adventures. However, if you have a day or two to spare, by all means explore the Museum of Belize providing the best historical journey back in time of African slaves, shipwrecks, pirates, colonial and independence era that brought continuous change to the country’s existence. The Museum is located in the former jail building and still has one surviving jail cell for you to see. Among other interesting exhibits, one will find Mayan jade and ceramic artifacts. St Jonh’s Cathedral is one of the oldest Anglican churches built in the Caribbean by the slave labor utilizing building materials brought from England.
9. Get in touch with Belize cultural heritage at Dangriga and Hopkins Villages – Go beyond touristy things to do in Belize and explore the cultural heritage of authentic Belize. Home to Garifuna people who are believed to be descendants of the African slaves and natives, it’s one of the most amazing places to visit to get in touch with amazing music, cuisine and cultural influences of Belize.
10. Explore Belizean Cuisine – Harmoniously combining the culinary ingenuities of all the nations that comprise the population of Belize, the cuisine is a mix of authentic Creole, African, Maya Indian and East Indian dishes. Rice and beans accompanied by heavily spiced meat and fish are the foundation of Belizean Cuisine. Caribbean Sea is also abundant in seafood offering mouthwatering squids, lobster, clams and fish dishes.