Top 10 Things To Do in Alexandria Egypt
Located on the Mediterranean coast, Alexandria is Egypt’s biggest industrial seaport and a busy tourist destination. Combining ancient places to visit along with religious sites, museums and great beaches, tourists find many fun things to do in Alexandria Egypt.
1. Tour the Catacombs of Kom es-Shoqafa – Anyone who enjoys Egyptian archeology or history should visit these catacombs. Accidentally discovered in the early 1900s, these underground passages and rooms were built around 2 A.D.,cover three stories, and include a spiral staircase.
2. Explore the Alexandria National Museum – This is one of the top things to do in Alexandria Egypt, because of all the priceless artifacts and fascinating information available on the Greek and Roman historical periods in Egypt.
3. Take Pictures at the Pompey’s Pillar – Once the epicenter of the ancient village Rhakotis, this massive column has always been one of the must see places in Alexandria. Constructed of a solid piece of granite it was built to commemorate one of Diocletian’s victories.
4. Get Awe-Struck at Montazah Palace and Gardens – One of the top things to do in Alexandria Egypt is a visit to this incredible palace and the surrounding gardens. Considered one of the most beautiful parks in the entire country, the stunning scenery and structure will leave you breathless.
5. Witness the Roman Amphitheater – Over the last few decades excavations have revealed a number of Roman ruins under the area. One of the most fascinating is the Roman Amphitheater, which was once home to chariot races, gladiator fights, and other forms of ancient Roman entertainment.
6. Learn Facts About the Citadel of Qaitbey – This fortress stands on the very spot that was the location of Pharos Lighthouse, one of the original Seven Wonders of the World. When the lighthouse was destroyed by an earthquake in the fourteen hundreds, a fortress was constructed using some of the stones from the actual lighthouse in the process.
7. See Abu El Abbas Mosque – Located near Citadel of Qaitbey, one of the most beautiful mosques in the country is richly decorated with ornate architecture. The Mosque is accessible to male visitors only, women are allowed in one of the back rooms.
8. Visit Anfushi Tombs – Out of all the things to do in Alexandria Egypt, these tombs are one of the top favorites. Originally created around 250 B.C., visitors will see ancient wall paintings showing what ancient Egyptian life was like.
9. Set on Nile River Cruises – A cruise along the Nile River is an extremely popular activity for tourists in Alexandria. You will float along viewing historic locations and ancient architecture, and there are dinner cruises available which serve a delicious meal while you travel.
10. Get Pampered at Four Seasons Hotel Alexandria – This is one of the best five star hotels in Alexandria Egypt, and a stay here can help you enjoy the perfect vacation. Pamper yourself in luxury when you are not exploring the city and attractions.
Among other popular things to do in Alexandria Egypt around the area, visitors do not miss seeing the famous pyramids. The Great Pyramid of Giza is located much further to the south close to Cairo, this pyramid is well known around the world, and is one of the Seven Wonders originally designated as such. This is one of the most popular attractions in all of Egypt, and Alexandia is no exception providing variety of tours to visit the Giza Pyramids.