Top 10 Places to Visit While Backpacking Across America
The United States is a country rich in history with diverse landscapes and culture. Much of the country varies from state to state, which makes for an interesting trip for people who are backpacking across America. Below is a list of the top 10 places to visit backpacking across America.
1. Grand Canyon – The Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona is a must see for all backpackers. The canyon is a staggering 1,500 meters deep and more than 20 kilometers wide.
2. Glacier National Park – Glacier National Park is located in Montana and borders Canada. Glacier National Park backpacking is some of the best in the world.
3. Yellowstone National Park – Backpacking across America wouldn’t be the same without a stop at Yellowstone. This park covers the states of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. It spans 3,500 square miles.
4. Mount Rushmore – Located in South Dakota, this monument that pays homage to Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, and Roosevelt is visited by over 2 million people per year.
5. Appalachian Trail – This famous trail is 2,174 miles long. Thru hikers often try to backpack straight through in one season. The trail encompasses 14 states.
6. Pacific Crest Trail – The PCT covers 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada. It goes through California, Oregon, and Washington.
7. Continental Divide Trail – This is a popular path for people that travel across America. It’s 3,100 miles long.
8. Zion National Park – This is a must see hidden gem when backpacking across America. This park is 229 square miles and features unusual plants and animals.
9. Yosemite National Park – One of the most visited parks in the world. Yosemite offers spectacular mountain and valley scenery and the famous giant sequoias.
10. Pinnell Mountain – One of the best short backpack trails in Alaska.
Read more about world backpacking in the article talking about backpacking around Australia.