Top 10 Places To Visit in New York State Besides NYC
Some travelers automatically assume that NYC is the one and only destination you can pick for your New York State vacation. While New York City is one of the most popular cities in the world to see, there are plenty of other places to visit in New York State beyond the Big Apple.
Read on to find out which top 10 places we recommend visiting in the Empire State.
1. Niagara Falls – Perched on the border of US and Canada, Niagara Falls are really 3 waterfalls in one. The largest of them is Horseshoe Falls located on the Canadian side, while the smaller ones American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls are situated on the American side. Head over to the Niagara Falls State Park and explore the thundering might of one of the world’s greatest waterfalls. Tourists will find plenty of Niagara Falls attractions ranging from various Falls tours, to exploring 400 acres of lush flora and fauna, to visitors’ favorite Maid of the Mist boat tours.
2. Buffalo, NY – Second largest city in the NY State, Buffalo may be known to you as the birthplace of famous chicken wings, do not overlook this city on your quest to find the best places to visit in New York State. This city boasts some of the top notch museums, art galleries, restaurants and nightlife establishments. Its historical architecture amazes visitors around every corner; take a look at Allentown or Delaware Avenue historical districts to see what we mean. Famous architect who designed the Central Park in NYC contributed to a total of 6 parks in Buffalo. Among them you will find Delaware and South parks, two of the most popular ones among tourists presenting lots of outdoor sights. Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village is a spectacular historical place recreating rural 19th century NY state settlement. For those visitors looking for great amusement parks in New York State, do not miss SplashTown Water Park at Darien Lake, one of the biggest and most impressive ones in the State located in close proximity to the city of Buffallo.
3. Albany, NY – The capital of New York State is small city boasting some of the most diverse architectural styles in the country. Whether you favor modern or old style architecture, there are plenty of historical buildings to fill your sightseeing day. New York State Museum along with Albany Institute of History and Art present incredible artifacts and works of art for you to explore. Albany is also home to several large universities and colleges.
4. Catskills Mountains – Located within 2 hours from the heart of Manhattan, this mostly rural area provides a perfect busy city escape for most New Yorkers. No matter what time of the year you arrive, you will find plenty of activities to keep you busy and entertained. From great skiing in the winter, to zip lining off Hunter Mountain in the spring, to hiking in summer and fall. Check out the Catskill Mountain Railroad taking you through a 90 minute scenic joy ride.
5. Lake Placid – Once grounds for 1980 Winter Olympic, this gorgeous NY State region is located in the midst of Adirondack National Forest. It’s a combination of natural scenery, history and world class entertainment that brings many visitors back year after year. Visitors can stay at top notch Lake Placid resorts catering to your luxurious or budget conscious accommodation needs. Engage in water sports in the summer, go hiking in the fall, ski and skate in the winter and go boating or camping in the spring. Lake Placid area is perfect to come to year round.
6. Finger Lakes – Home to family owned Finger Lakes wineries, this place holds so much off the beaten path appeal, you will wonder why you had not come here sooner. Unique museums, one of a kind shopping, relaxing hiking, water sports and so much more. Finger Lakes region is also well known for its incredible waterfalls, State Parks and unique nature made lakes.
7. Long Island Beaches – For those tourists trying to escape the hustle and bustle of busy NYC streets, an hour car ride will take you to NY State own beach paradise, one of the best places to visit in New York State. The beaches of Long Island are highly coveted for their white sandy shore lines, boardwalks perfect for midday or midnight strolls, fishing, swimming or boating escapes. Take a relaxing dinner cruise or book a seal watching boat tour allowing you to explore previously unknown for you side of NY State.
8. Thousand Islands, NY – Fantastic international tourism destination located on both sides of US and Canada border offering plenty of fun family activities. Over 1,000 lakes like tiny jewels are scattered along the shore of Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River opening endless water based opportunities like boating, fishing, kayaking, and even scuba diving. Among land based things to do visitors would love seeing the artworks of former resident Frederick Remington, the Boldt Castle and a number of State Parks. Natural beauty combined with a plethora of activities make any vacation to the Thousands Islands region unforgettable.
9. Rochester, NY – Located at the gateway to Finger Lakes region is a perfect mid-sized city to be explored over your weekend getaway. One of the most charming places to visit in New York State, it holds a lot for you to see. World renowned designer F. Olmsted designed several Parks in the city offering great escapes for families. Great museums and small art galleries are awaiting their visitors to explore their collections. Visit Seneca Park Zoo, Kodak Founder’s house and Rochester Museum of Science Center.
10. Syracuse, NY – There’s no denying that Syracuse location in the midst of gorgeous Finger Lakes region mixed with historical significance has been drawing tourists all year round. Shop till you drop at Destiny USA, 6th largest mall in the US, visit incredible Erie Canal Museum and the Museum of Science and Technology packed with 3 levels of interactive educational fun among plenty of others activities in the city.