Top 10 Places To Visit in Nepal – A Must See and Do List!
Nepal, sandwiched between the mountain peaks of Tibet and impassable jungles of India, is a unique destination, a “dream come true” for mountaineering junkies, Buddhist Temple enthusiasts and “off the beaten path” travelers. Our Nepal travel guide below presents some of the best places to visit in Nepal for building great experiences and memories for years to come.
1. Kathmandu – Overcrowded and overpolluted city of Kathmandu but nonetheless popular among tourists arriving to Nepal is a gem to explore at your own terms. Do not expect high class accommodations and service, and you will be rewarded with an amazing cultural experience in itself. Meander along cobbled streets of Kathmandu brimming with colorful shops, street food carts and spiritual Temples. Durbar Square is definitely worth your visit since it is the heart of the country with significant cultural importance, one of the best places to visit in Nepal. Country’s main temples, interesting architectural wonders are all here. The Golden Temple is a highlight of any visit to Kathmandu, a Buddhist monastery with history dating back to the 12th century. Intriguing architecture and sacred sites richly adorned with Buddha statues, candles and fresh flower are very impressive. Asan Tole market is a spectacle to explore full of flavors, scents and incredible souvenir finds to take back home. Once your senses grow tired of the overstimulation, head to the relaxing and clean Garden of Dreams, designed in a neoclassical style with beautiful columns, terraces and enclaves.
2. Bodhnath Stupa – It’s one of the most sacred places to visit in Nepal for Buddhist religion followers presenting the largest stupas in the world that is traditionally used for meditation, religious ceremonies and as a holly place to store various shrine objects of reverence. Located on the outskirts of Kathmandu, it’s one of the most unique places to visit in Nepal.
3. Everest Base Camp– Mount Everest, the tallest peak in the world, has always captivated mountaineering gurus for many centuries. Since not everyone is physically equipped to master a journey to the very top, many decide to take a trek to the heart of the mountain climbing paradise, the Everest Base Camp. To say that the journey is simply a walk in the park is definitely farfetched. The average two week journey will take you through terrains of various levels of difficulty and elevations in efforts to get you acclimatized to the rough conditions at the Everest Base Camp that sits at the altitude of 10,000 ft. Start your journey in Kathmandu followed by a flight to Lukla where you can stay overnight in one of the teahouses, continue to your destination through valleys, mountains paths guided by local Sherpa people with their unique knowledge how to survive in high altitude regions to arrive at the base of the famous Mount Everest. On your way back down you will have an opportunity to visit remote monasteries and cultural heritage of the local people. Everest Base Camp Trek is among the most exhilarating and physically challenging things to try in Nepal.
4. Gorkha Royal Palace – Located between Pokhara and Kathmandu, you will find historical Gorkha Royal Palace sitting proudly at the elevation of 3300 feet overlooking the surrounding villages. The Palace was initially built for Shah Dynasty king so he can rule over his people with his ever watchful presence. Getting to the palace will take you approximately 2 hours to climb 1700 steps, to be exact. On the top you will be greeted with panoramic views of the Himalayan Valleys and areas around.
5. Chitwan National Park – Located in the central part of Nepal, Chitwan Park is the epicenter of wildlife and outdoor exploration. Featuring various ecosystems and climatic zones, it’s a pleasure to explore for virtually anybody. Visitor Center offers a variety of safari adventures allowing you to spot Bengal tigers, one horned rhinos and visit the elephant breeding sanctuary.
6. Bardia National Park – The Park is the place of immense untouched by civilization beauty. Bardia is inhabited by hundreds of fauna species like gharials, hippos, elephants, rhinos and Bengal tigers in addition to marine animals. A lot of Nepal vacation packages include Bardia National Park tours focused on cultural, safari or walking forest and animal exploration.
7. Langtang National Park – Langtang Trek is another exciting journey you can venture on just on the north of the Kathmandu Valley. The Langtang adventure normally takes 11 days allowing you to explore magnificent outdoor nature of the Himalayan region, lakes, Sherpa villages and so much more. Spot amazing animals like yaks, pandas and monkeys, sample unique yak cheese and explore the beauty of the Langtang National Park.
8. Annapurna Sanctuary – Annapurna is a series of the Himalayan peaks presenting incredible opportunities of mount climbers, trekkers and backpackers. Annapurna Sanctuary is home to amazing species of plants like rhododendron, pines and much more. Trekking in the area you will be able to spot mountain sheep, tigers, snow leopards and birds you are unlikely to see anywhere else. Unique encounters with Gurungs and Thakali nations are the true highlights of trekking adventures. Scenic Annapurna Sanctuary treks take approximately 18 days taking you from lake resorts, to rhododendron forests and mountain hills.
9. Elephant Safari Nature Reserves – An exhilarating experience to be sitting atop the smartest and most powerful animal, native to the Southern Asia. Perhaps the best way to explore the jungles and plains of Nepal guided by professional and knowledgeable animal handlers and travel guides. An average two passengers are seated on a special platform positioned on the elephant’s back with a guide sitting on its neck. Many Nepal National Parks and wildlife preserves offer this fantastic experience for you to try.
10. White River Rafting Camps at the Himalayan– Nepal with its Himalayan Mountain range creates some of the wildest and most challenging white river rafting experiences. Set off on the adrenaline pumping adventures down such Rivers as Trishuli, Bhote Koshi and Kali Gandaki to experience incredible outdoor environment of this unique country.