Top 10 Neuschwanstein Castle Facts
When planning a trip to Germany, there are many wonderful places to visit and see. Among the most popular castles in Germany is Neuschwanstein Castle. If you want to see a magnificent “fairytale castle” this is the place to visit. There are many wonderful and interesting Neuschwanstein Castle facts. Here we have compile a list of the top ten Neuschwanstein Castle facts.
1. Neuschwanstein Castle was built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. He was also known as the “Fairytale King”. This castle is a great representation of what a fairytale castle would look like, complete with beautiful views of the Bavarian Alps.
2. While construction began in 1869 and was only supposed to take about three years, Ludwig expected this castle to be absolutely perfect. For this reason the castle was not completed until after his death in 1886.
3. One of the most interesting of the Neuschwanstein Castle facts is that this beautiful storybook looking castle inspired the Walt Disney Magic Kingdom Sleeping Beauty Castle.
4. Neuschwanstein Castle is one of the most beautiful castles in Germany as well as the most popular destinations in the world with over 1.3 million visitors annually.
5. While there is a magnificent throne room, there is no actual throne since it was not completed before Ludwig’s death.
6. King Ludwig only slept in the caste 11 nights.
7. Neuschwanstein means New Swan Stone which derived from the name of one of Richard Wagner’s opera characters, Swan Knight.
8. Today, the castle is owned by the state of Bavaria and more than 14.5 million euros is spent annually on its maintenance.
9. One of the most exciting Neuschwanstein Castle facts is that the castle has been featured in such things as the video, “The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery” as well as the movies, “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” and the “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm”.
10. While the castle is one of the most popular destinations and offers many Neuschwanstein Castle tours it is also the most photographed building in Germany even though photographs are not allowed inside the castle.
It’s clear that when visiting Germany and Europe there are many castles such as Linderhof Castle located in Ettal, Germany as well as Neuschwanstein Castle there is much to see and do while on vacation in Germany. While staying at one of the magnificent hotels in Munich, Germany you will be able to arrange one of the Neuschwanstein Castle visits.