Philadelphia is a beautiful and bustling city located in the heart of the Delaware Valley. Philadelphia is best known as the city that contributed to the birth of our country. There is evidence of this everywhere you look. There are many wonderful museums in Philadelphia depicting the amazing history of our country.
Below you will find our selection of the top ten best museums in Philadelphia.
1. Rosenbach Museum and Library – This is the former home of the Rosenbach brothers whom were best known for their personal collections of rare books and fine arts which are all on display today.
2. Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology – Visitors can browse through the many beautiful and unique artifacts from ancient Egypt, China and Polynesia as well as many others.
3. Jewish Museum Philadelphia – Located above Independence Mall, this museum depicts the often times tragic and interesting history of the Jewish people.
4. Fabric Workshop and Museum – This is one of the most popular museums in Philadelphia where visitors will enjoy amazing and unique exhibits of many magnificent artists using several different mediums.
5. Franklin Institute Science Museum – This is one of the best museums in Philadelphia for the entire family where visitors will love the dinosaur exhibits as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit to name just a couple.
6. Philadelphia Museum of Art – If you are an art lover, than this is the museum for you as you will be enthralled by the many wonderful exhibits of famous artists such as Van Gogh.
7. African American Museum – This beautiful museum is home to four galleries and one auditorium and has many exhibits depicting the culture, history and education of the African American people.
8. Independence Hall – If given the chance this is definitely one of the museums in Philadelphia that must not be missed. You will get a first-hand look at how this country was founded.
9. Please Touch Museum Philadelphia – This is definitely one of the best things to do in Philadelphia for the entire family. The kids will be amazed by the many interactive exhibits such as City Capers, Flight Fantasy and River Adventures.
10. Independence Seaport Museum – Explore ships such as the USS Olympia and if you are interested they also offer sleepovers in one of the ships. A truly unique experience!
It’s clear that when looking for history and culture in Philadelphia, there is no shortage. Whether you are looking for free museums in Philadelphia or a museum depicting fine arts, there is something for everyone.