Top 10 Most Interesting Zurich Switzerland Facts
Zurich is full of the character and charm that is synonymous with the country of Switzerland. Mountains, lakes, meadows, architecture, historical points of interest and modern architecture all blend effortlessly into a country that millions of people visit each year. Here then is just a sampling of the most interesting Zurich Switzerland facts.
1. Zurich is a city of extremes, its lowest point being 392 feet above sea level overlooking the shores of the River Limmat, and its highest point being the Uetliberg Mountain peak, some 871 m above sea level.
2. With so many things to do in German Switzerland, it is no wonder that Zurich is so densely populated. Some 1.9 million people call it home in the metro area alone!
3. An interesting Zurich Switzerland fact is that their train terminal sees almost 2000 connections every single day. This bustling terminus will get you on your way with trips to other cities in the country as well as those in Europe. Average time from Zurich to Paris is just 4.5 hours, to Milan, 3.5 hours.
4. Switzerland is home to many happy people with fulfilling jobs and talents, but 1 in every 9 jobs in the entire country is in Zurich. Most of the world’s major banks have headquarters there, as do many insurance companies. Of course there are also many hotels in Zurich Switzerland a home away from home for business and pleasure travelers alike.
5. The city sits on the northwest tip of Lake Zurich, in north central Switzerland, it is the largest city in the country, the official language is German and the official currency is the Swiss Franc.
6. A great claim to fame is the Zurich Switzerland fact that the city has been given the title as having the best quality of life in the world.
7. You will never be at a loss for things to do in Zurich. The city is home to the largest number of nightclubs in the world and it is also the fashion capital of the country.
8. One of the most interesting Zurich Switzerland attractions is the UNESCO World Heritage Site of prehistoric stilt house villages at Enge Alpenquai and Grosse Stadt Kleiner Hafner, both prehistoric dwellings in the Alps.
9. Joannah Spyri wrote her popular Heidi in Zurich while Lenin finished his ‘Imperialism as the Highest Stage of Capitalism’ in the city.
10. The best Zurich Switzerland fact has to be that the city is full of museums, monuments and fabulous displays of architecture where the old mixes effortlessly with the new no matter where you look.
On your next trip, you can uncover many other Zurich Switzerland facts as you enjoy the surrounding and bustling city for yourself.