Top 10 Most Famous US Landmarks Travelers Talk About
Given the immense size of the United States, it’s no surprise that there is an awful lot to see and do. Stretching from the Pacific Ocean all the way to the Atlantic, the U.S. includes mountains, plains, deserts, forests, beaches and more. Across this stunning landscape there can be found numerous famous US landmarks that travelers from all over the world come to visit annually. There are dozens upon dozens of exciting landmarks to enjoy in the United States, but we’ve laid out the top ten to consider first in the geographical order, from the east to the west coasts.
1. Statue of Liberty: Visible from miles away to those aboard ships off the eastern coast of the state of New York can be found Lady Liberty, a massive example of neoclassical sculpture that is a symbol of enlightenment, freedom and democracy. This most famous of US landmarks was a gift from the people of France and was meant to symbolize friendship across the sea. In the year 1924, the statue became recognized as a national monument and for the last eighty years, park employees have cared for the copper monolith, towering over three hundred feet high on Liberty Island.
2. Empire State Building: Not far from Our Lady Liberty can be found the Empire State Building, a skyscraper perched at the corner of 5th Avenue and West 34th Street that stands over one hundred stories tall. Although now beaten by many marvels of modern engineering in terms of tallest height, the skyscraper dominated as the highest in the world for over forty years, during which time it earned its title as one of the most famous US landmarks.
3. Niagara Falls: Although partially shared with the northern neighboring country Canada, the Falls at Niagara remain one of the most famous US landmarks and one of the top travel destinations in the country year after year. Three separate waterfalls are found here and the trio (comprised of Horseshoe Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and American Falls) bridge the international border between New York State and the province of Ontario. The falls were formed by glaciers and are stunningly beautiful, drawing millions of guests each and every year.
4. Walt Disney World: Over the last four decades or so, the original idea for a Florida based fantasy theme park has expanded into proportions that it’s likely even the original creators, developers and designers could have imagined. Covering over 42,000 acres, the vast entertainment complex includes over twenty different hotels, a handful of large theme parks, two water parks and four separate golf courses. Walt Disney World may be the most famous US landmarks of all to children, who familiarize the park with it’s namesake characters like Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and others, but it’s a truly family friendly adventure with activities available for all ages.
5. Mount Rushmore: Located in South Dakota, this monumental sculpture combines the unique qualities of natural rock with the skill and precision of a master artist. Carved by father and son team Gutzon and Lincoln Borglum, the sixty foot high heads of presidents Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln cover over 1200 acres and tower thousands of feet above the hills below. The original purpose of the structure was to attempt to bring more tourists to the Black Hills area, a goal that the sculpture more than achieved. Today it remains one of the most popular and famous US landmarks, drawing thousands of visitors each year.
6. Yellowstone National Park: Some may attribute Yellowstone’s status as one of the most famous US landmarks to its use in pop culture and entertainment, but it’s the natural beauty and unique distinctions of the more than three thousand square mile preserve that draw crowds every year. Here at the park can be found over a thousand different archaeological sites as well as the largest assembly of geysers in the entire world. The most popular of these of course is Old Faithful, a dedicated geothermal wonder that delights guests time and time again.
7. Grand Canyon National Park: Just east of the adult playground complete with neon lights and loads of debauchery known as Las Vegas can be found one of the most awe inspiring natural wonders in the entire world. The Grand Canyon, so named for its impressive size and natural rock formations, draws guests from all parts of the world year after year. The park is one of the most famous US landmarks of all. The gorge is situated along the Colorado River that carved it and is found in the northern part of Arizona.
8. Hollywood: The epicenter of modern entertainment can be found along the west coast of the United States, and in this rather small locale exists one of the most famous US landmarks. Known as the capital of the entertainment industry and located within the municipality of Los Angeles, the notorious neighborhood is home to several important sights related to modern pop culture including Chan’s Chinese Theater and Studio City.
9. Yosemite National Park: In the central part of the state of California can be found one of the most famous US landmarks, Yosemite Valley, a National park that covers nearly three quarters of a million acres. It stretches from the Sierra Nevada Mountains west towards Sacramento and as far south as the Sequoia National Forest. Serene and incredible Lake Tahoe can also be found nestled here, and the entire region is wildly popular with local travelers and tourists from abroad thanks to its natural beauty and wildlife diversity.
10. Golden Gate Bridge: This large and sunset colored bridge is so named for the gap it covers, the Golden Gate Strait, which is a three mile wide channel that occurs between the Pacific Ocean and the San Francisco Bay. Although it’s a very functional piece of modern engineering, used by millions upon millions of people annually, it’s such a beautiful bridge that it’s considered one of the most photographed in all of the world. For awhile it held the title for longest suspension bridge on record, however nowadays it’s simply known as one of the most famous US landmarks and easily most recognizable bridges in the entire world.