Top 10 Kangaroo Island Attractions
Planning a visit to Kangaroo Island, then you’re in luck. Here is a top 10 list of Kangaroo Island attractions to help you navigate straight to the best tours and activities to ensure that you maximize your time on the island.
1. Kelly Hills Caves – Have you ever trying adventure caving? Here’s the chance to grab that hard hat you have hanging in the closet, plus some old overalls and army crawl through this maze of caverns. There are spectacular views of well preserved stalagmites and helictites.
2. Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery — If you are looking for a unique souvenir to take home, try soaps, oils, gift packs, laundry liquids and lip balm all made for this original Eucalyptus distillery. Kangaroo Island tours are offered, but reservations are highly suggested during off peak season.
3. Little Sahara – Anyone up for a little sand surfing? Grab a sand board and ride down the sand dunes of this mirrored version of the Sahara desert.
4. Flinders Chase National Park – In an effort to preserve the natural wildlife, plants and bird life of KI, early on it was declared that one third of the total area of land on the island would be protected as a National Park. Flinders Chase is known for the Remarkable Rocks. There are also many other Kangaroo Island attractions within the park.
5. Penguin Centre – Get the rare opportunity to learn about and feed Fairy Penguins. Discover interesting facts about their sea life and how the centre protects them.
6. Admirals Arch – Overlooking the Casuarina Islet, Admiral Arch, a natural rock arch is the resting and breeding area for several New Zealand fur seals. Have your camera ready. You can also stay longer if you enjoy the view, Kangaroo Island accommodations can be booked through the visitors information center. Cabins, campsites and a Kangaroo Island lodge are available.
7. Hope Cottage Museum – Take step back in time when you visit the Hope Cottage. It is one of the three original buildings and preserved Kanagraoo Island attractions from 1856. The museum is home to obsolete tractors and machinery that was once used by early settlers.
8. Kangaroo Island Gallery – Find artwork of a varied medium, from paintings, sculptures, jewelry, ceramics, photography and more at this centrally located gallery. All work is exclusively created by local, talented artists.
9. Lighthouse Tours – Lighthouses were once a major tool in guiding ships into port and vital to helping them avoid shipwrecks by coming too close to the underwater rocks and reefs. KI offers lighthouse tours to show what an essential part in history they have played.
10. Parndana Wildlife Park – Similar to a petting zoo, Parndana allows visitors to get up and personal with the rare animals and birds that call the park home. Kangaroo feeding is encouraged and you’ll also see black cockatoos, parrots and hawks as well as the lovable koalas and Tammar Wallabies.
This island may be small, but you’d never know it with all the Kangaroo Island attractions they have for visitors. Jump aboard a Kangaroo Island ferry when you’re ready to add another stamp to your passport.