Top 10 Interesting Mount Rushmore Facts
The most interesting Mount Rushmore facts are all about the history of this area. The amount of time and number of workers required to complete this project is astounding. In actuality, the carved-stone sculptures took 15 years. The work began in 1927 by one sculptor, but was finished by his son.
The top 10 Mount Rushmore facts are listed below:
1. The entire project cost $1 million dollars but it was not because of the intense sculpting. The delays, totaling 8 ½ years caused the deficit.
2. The Mount Rushmore Presidents include Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson and Roosevelt. They were chosen to represent specific parts of American history.
3. The original sculptor, John Gutzon de la Mothe Borglum previously carved the same four Presidents on Stone Mountain. He used this vision to begin his creation in South Dakota. This is one of the more interesting Mount Rushmore facts. Many do not know there is a smaller version.
4. Another of the Mount Rushmore facts describes the detail of dedication of the workers. They used a combination of dynamite, hand drills, hammers and chisels to ensure perfect replication.
5. The Crazy Horse Memorial is a neighbor to Mount Rushmore. The sculptor of this piece of art, Korczak Ziolikowski worked with Borglum on the Mount Rushmore project.
6. Mount Rushmore vacations and tourists are responsible for South Dakota’s booming industry. Over 3 million people visit every year.
7. Mount Rushmore is one of the most recognized locations in the entire world. More movies have paid homage to this monument than the Eifel Tower and the Sphinx combined.
8. There are over 7 chain hotels near Mount Rushmore. They are all within a 10-mile radius of the monument. Many have casinos and other special attractions. In fact, the Watiki has an indoor water park. This is the perfect place to stay with kids. Other hotels feature picturesque views and quaint, cozy surroundings.
9. The height of each President on Mount Rushmore is 60 feet, beginning at the chin. This is the equivalent of a 6-story building.
10. The width of the eyes of each President on Mount Rushmore is 11 feet. That’s the same size as two average height women of 5’ 5”.