Top 10 Interesting Empire State Building Facts
The Empire State Building located in New York City is one of the most famous and most recognizable buildings in the world. When going to New York City, one cannot pass up the opportunity to take one of the Empire State Building tours. The views from the observation decks are breathtaking. There are many interesting and historical Empire State Building facts that visitors will enjoy learning. Here, we have compiled a list of the top ten interesting Empire State Building facts.
1. When the Empire State Building opened on May 1, 1931 it was the tallest building in the world and only took one year and forty-five days to build.
2. This building is one of the most filmed buildings in the world. It has appeared in commercials, TV shows and blockbuster movies such as King Kong, Sleepless in Seattle and An Affair to Remember to name a few.
3. The Empire State building is famous for its colored light displays that mark the holidays or seasons. After 9/11 for several months the light display was red, white and blue as a tribute to those that died and to show that New York City and America were not defeated.
4. Every year on Valentine’s Day, couples can get married on the 80th floor Empire State Building observation deck. In order to qualify for a marriage, couples must submit a letter stating why they want to get married here. If chosen, they become part of the “Wedding Club” which will give them free admittance every Valentine’s Day.
5. From the 102nd (and top) floor observation deck, there are breathtaking views of the city, stretching for 80 miles.
6. Because of the over 1000 businesses and over 21,000 employees the Empire State Building has its own zip code. This is one of the lesser known Empire State Building facts.
7. The Empire State Building is the United States most popular landmark with over 3.5 million visitors per year.
8. In 1981, the building was declared a historical landmark.
9. Another important of the Empire State Building facts is that it is open 365 days per year from 8 a.m. until 2 a.m. There is no excuse not to visit this amazing landmark.
10. The Empire State Building is considered one of the wonders of the world, making this one of the best fun things to do in New York City.
It is clear that whether you are a native to New York City or a visitor, this is one place you will need to visit. This is also one of the best things to do in New York City with kids as this is an experience they won’t forget. There are also 73 elevators, making it easy to navigate with children and strollers.