Top 10 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Hiking Trails
There are over 80 Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiking trails, so it’s a good idea to know the top choices. The park has many trails that lead to waterfalls and picnic areas.
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiking trails range in difficulty from very easy to extremely challenging. They also differ in length.
The top 10 Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiking trails can be found below:
1. Toms Branch Falls – Most people know the things to do in Gatlinsburg surround hiking because of the beautiful landscapes. This trail is no exception. It is less than one mile long and good for young children.
2. Schoolhouse Gap – One of the Smoky Mountain Trails with a somewhat challenging route. However, the entire trip is quiet and filled with pleasant-smelling wildflowers. It is 3.8 miles long.
3. Indian Creek Falls – This trail is very close to many of the Smoky Mountain cabin rentals. You can start your day with a brisk hike of 1.9 miles and end at the waterfall.
4. Laurel Falls – The 2.3-mile hike is also a great choice in Great Smoky Mountains National Park because of the ease of the path. You can even ride your bike if you want.
5. Ace Gap – This is one of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiking trails that are considered very challenging. It is 11 miles long, but very quiet.
6. Cove Mountain – This 7.7-mile hiking trail is also very challenging. It has panoramic views of the forest and ends at a waterfall.
7. Chasteen Creek – A 10-mile hike with gurgling streams and waterfall views. It is very strenuous. Only the most advanced hikers should attempt.
8. Mountains –to-Sea Trail – A very, very long hike that is well over 15 miles. You are encouraged to pack a light backpack filled with water and energy snacks. Granola and Gatorade are great choices.
9. Sugarland Mountain Trail – A mid-level trail that is 6 miles long. It is not very popular with tourists, so you may not see many along your trip.
10. Kanati Fork Trail – Only 4 miles long, but strewn with all kinds of foliage. Perfect for photo opportunities.