Top 10 Fun Things To Do In Philadelphia and Around!
When planning a vacation to Pennsylvania, visitors will find that there are many fun things to do in Philadelphia. If you are planning a romantic Poconos weekend getaway, it may be fun to stop in Philadelphia and enjoy some of the history and culture of this beautiful city. Here we have a list of the top ten fun things to do in Philadelphia.
1. Franklin Square – Named after Benjamin Franklin this is one of the first squares to be established in Philadelphia. Visitors will enjoy the extensive playground, mini golf and the liberty carousel. The playground is one of the free things to do in Philadelphia although there is a small fee for mini golf and the carousel.
2. Longwood Gardens – This is one of the world’s best horticulture attractions. With over 11,000 different types of plants, visitors will marvel at the Flower Garden Wall as well as the Aquatic Display Garden.
3. Rocky Statue – Depicting the fictional character from the Rocky movies, this is a beautiful tribute to the underdog.
4. Philadelphia Zoo – Guests will love the first zoo in America situated on a 42-acre Victorian garden. In addition to the amazing animal exhibits such as the tigers, lions and elephants visitors will love X-Tink Shun which is an innovative show featuring the Jim Henson puppets.
5. Sesame Place – This is the only theme park based on the characters of Sesame Street. This is definitely one of the best things to do in Philadelphia with kids.
6. Merriam Theatre – Enjoy many of the best Broadway shows as they tour through Philadelphia. The theatre also offers wonderful family shows during the holidays.
7. Please Touch Museum – This is an amazing hands-on interactive museum for adults and children.
8. New Race Street Pier – Located on the Delaware River Waterfront there are two levels of recreation. Visitors will find this very picnic friendly. When the tide rises, those on the lower level will find themselves on the river’s edge as it is only about 4 feet from the top.
9. John Heinz Natural Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum – This is the largest refuge of wildlife and plants.
10. Mount Pleasant – this is an amazing 18th century mansion that was once owned by Benedict Arnold and is one of the must-see fun things to do in Philadelphia.
It is clear that Philadelphia is a city that is alive with history as well as culture. There is also no shortage of fun things to do in Philadelphia. A vacation here is something that every American must do at one point in their lives.