Top 10 Free Things To Do In Rio De Janeiro
Every wonder what to do in Rio De Janeiro after the plane lands? Well wonder no more, this top ten list is full of places, sights and things to do in Rio de Janeiro. Best of all, it’s all free.
1. Beaches – Make this your first stop. Rio is known for their beautiful sandy beaches, warm waters and you don’t have to spend a dime to visit them. If you like sports, Copacabana beach soccer pick-up games won’t be hard to find. Don’t miss the Ipanema beach as well.
2. Carnival – The biggest party in Rio happens every February. It’s a four day event and not to be missed. The free entertainment lasts all day. At night the party continues when the samba school performers enter the Sambodromo Rio de Janeiro. There is an admission fee to enter, but many hotels give away tickets to their guests.
3. Arpoador – Are you in search of things to do in Rio de Janeiro, then sneak away from the lively streets to a secluded romantic spot to watch the sunset chase the horizon. This giant flat rock offers a quite retreat and amazing views of the beaches, sea and mountains that surround the city.
4. Selaron Stairs – Located in Lapa and started as a small project by a local artist has turned into a tourist attraction. The stairs are all hand painted and tiled. Live music and entertainment after hours.
5. Arcos de Lapa – Also located in the Lapa neighborhood, it’s a colonial period landmark surviving since it was constructed in 1750 and the most famous arch in Rio. This is the place to be at sunset as the samba begins, street performers and vendors take over the streets you’ll know you’re in Rio.
6. Museums – House of Rui Barbosa, Casa Franca – Brazil Cultural Center and the Histurico Nacional Museums all offer free days each week. Tourist looking for free things to do in Rio de Janeiro, should stop by to learn about the cultural history of the city.
7. Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas – Walk around the lake and people watch in this well known Rio neighborhood. The Lagoa is a lagoon surrounded by beautiful parks. You’ll find a roller staking rink, sculpture gardens and playgrounds for your enjoyment.
8. Tijuca Forest Trails – Want more things to do in Rio de Janeiro then go for a hike up the trails for spectacular views. The trails also give you the chance to commune with nature, bird watch and see small wildlife.
9. Pargue Lage – This is a smaller park, not well known but directly across the street from the botanical gardens and it gives you things to do in Rio de Janeiro if you have some down time. It’s free and offers a beautiful quite spot to gain peace of mind and gather your thoughts.
10. Santa Teresa – Want to know what Rio is really like, then no visit is complete without a walk through this neighborhood. Narrow streets, eclectic shops and plenty of locals will show you the true meaning of being in Rio de Janeiro.
Rio de Janeiro is a unique city with an abundance to offer the tourist on a budget. Even when traveling light on cash, you’ll have a magnificent time at the Rio de Janeiro attractions on our list.