Top 10 Free Things To Do In Philadelphia
Philadelphia is one of the most historical cities in American when we think of our founding fathers. There are many fun and free things to do in Philadelphia whether you are a visitor or a native to this beautiful city. The best way to see all this city has to offer is to take a Philadelphia walking tour through the historical area of Philadelphia. Here we have a list of the top 10 free things to do in Philadelphia.
1. Fireman’s Hall Museum – Located in a beautifully restored firehouse, enjoy learning about the fascinating history of firefighting as well as safety tips.
2. Delaware Art Museum – This is one of the largest collections of British pre-Raphaelite arte. Enjoy the beautiful outdoor Copeland Sculpture Garden. This activity is free on Sundays.
3. National Museum of American Jewish History – This is a fairly new museum which opened in 2010 and chronicles the American Jewish experience.
4. Bishop White House – Quarters of the Bishop who was the original founder of the Episcopal Church in America.
5. Carpenters Hall – Just weeks after the construction in 1774, this is where the meetings of the First Continental Congress is held. This is one of the most popular of the free things to do in Philadelphia.
6. Declaration House – This is the home of Thomas Jefferson as he wrote the Declaration of Independence.
7. Edgar Allen Poe National Historic Site – tour through the house where Poe lived while writing some of this most famous books such as The Black Cat and the House of Usher.
8. Liberty Bell – This national monument is located in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. In addition to viewing this national symbol of freedom, guests are also able to view x-rays of the cracked and inner workings of this bell. This is one of the free things to do in Philadelphia that no American should miss.
9. Morris Arboretum – Located on the University of Pennsylvania campus, visitors will enjoy a relaxing visit through the English and Japanese Gardens, Victoria Femery, Rose Garden and Swan Pond. Enjoy a light meal at the Garden Café. Strolling along these beautiful gardens may be one of the most romantic things to do in Philadelphia.
10. Eastern State Penitentiary – Enjoy walking through one of the most haunted buildings in America. This location has been featured on several television shows including Ghost Hunters.
It’s obvious that when visiting, there is an abundance of fun things to do in Philadelphia. It is easy to see that by enjoying all of these free things to do in Philadelphia; visitors will have a wonderful vacation while staying on a budget.