Top 10 Fort Lauderdale Attractions
Located in the southern portion of Florida, Fort Lauderdale was once the epicenter of “springbreaking” culture but these days are long gone and this lovely resort city has flourished to become a sophisticated resort on the Atlantic Ocean and one of the world’s largest cruising ports in the world. City’s series of Venice style waterways make it especially appealing for boating aficionados and tourists on their search for the best Fort Lauderdale attractions.
Fort Lauderdale is one of the best places to visit in Florida due to its mild year round climate, incredible beaches, intricate waterways perfect for yachting, over 4000 restaurants and 120 nightclubs and cultural venues.
Let’s take a look what’s in store for the best Fort Lauderdale attractions.
1. Fort Lauderdale Beaches – No matter how you slice it or dice it, beaches are among top Fort Lauderdale attractions. All you have to do is to come down here to experience the bliss of 23 sandy miles of gorgeous Florida beaches. Ford Lauderdale Beach is one of the most well known in the city opening great people watching opportunities at the chic Promenade and admiring gorgeous cityscapes. Less crowded Dania Beach is great for feasting on fresh caught seafood, enjoying gorgeous sunsets and premier beach culture. There are plenty of things to do at the beaches, so no matter if you fancy beach jogging, biking, swimming, snorkeling or paddleboating you will fit right in.
2. River Walk and Las Olas Riverfront – If you had time to see only one of many Fort Lauderdale tourist attractions, this would be it! A beautiful River Walk stretching along the New River in the heart of downtown is one of the most popular Fort Lauderdale attractions. The River Walk connects an endless array of shops, galleries, restaurants, downtown businesses and venues. Nearby Riverwalk Linear Park is a tropical oasis embellished with perfectly manicured lawns, flower beds and palm trees. Las Olas Boulevard by day is a fashion junkie Mecca with its abundance of specialty clothing, jewelry and accessories. At night Las Olas Boulevard is the epicenter of nightlife and fine dining. Some really popular dining choices include Hookah Middle Eastern lounge and Art Bar welcoming hip hop crowds from all over the world.
3. Fort Lauderdale Events – FL hosts a multitude of events throughout the year, including FL International Film Festival, Las Olas Art Fair, Collectible and Antique Shows, Wine and Food Festivals, FL International Boat show and so many others. Check city’s website to see if any of these events are taking place during your next vacation.
4. Jungle Queen Riverboat Cruise – There’s simply no better way of touring Lauderdale in a few hours than boarding the Jungle Queen. You can pick from several options, whether it’s a 3 hour day cruise or 4 hour night dinner cruise completed with BBQ dinner and live music shows. Cruise along the New River to see famous celebrity houses, breathtaking yachts and boats, and unsurpassed beauty of downtown Fort Lauderdale. Your journey will take you to the heart of the tropical Jungle Queen Isle where you will be greeted with lush jungle flora and fauna. See exotic birds, monkeys or catch an alligator show while you are there.
5. Fort Lauderdale Restaurants – Home to over 4000 restaurants, nothing is impossible here, perhaps finding the best restaurant to serve your family needs. “The Venice of America” offers a myriad of dining options ranging from sophisticated steak and seafood restaurants overlooking the Ocean, Asian, European, Middle Eastern, Caribbean and Cuban ethnic eateries, small cafes and pizza joints. Granted Florida’s gorgeous beaches and sunsets, you simply have to pick the best outdoor dining establishments, including Shula’s on the Beach serving up city’s tastiest bites like steak, fish and lobster. Located in the heart of Las Olas Boulevard is the Mango restaurant offering an extensive but much laid back menu of chicken and fish sandwiches and great nighttime entertainment.
6. Fort Lauderdale Nightlife – Once known as the springbreaking capital of America, FL experiences no shortage in night clubs, bars or live music venues. Whether you are single, married, gay or straight, you will find nightlife establishments to suit your interests. Las Olas Boulevard is perhaps the epicenter of the city’s nightlife offering hip pubs, dance lounges and clubs.
7. Cruises from Fort Lauderdale – Many people choose FL as their vacation destination but even more pass through the city on their way to board one of the luxurious cruise ships going to the Bahamas, Caribbean, South America, Europe and virtually anywhere in the world. Port Everglades cruise port is one of the busiest cruising ports in the world. Even if you are not going on a cruise, do not miss this fantastic spectacle of ships docking and leaving to exotic destinations.
8. International Swimming Hall of Fame – For those who take great interest in aquatics or professional athletes will be delighted to tour around this fantastic historical museum gathering interesting memorabilia, objects and exhibits about the sport and persons promoting the art of swimming.
9. Fort Lauderdale Museums and Art Venues – Fort Lauderdale also boasts a very impressive museum scene topped off by incredible Museum of Discovery and Science with a huge emphasis on educating children on the environmental impacts of modern civilization. A series of hands on exhibits are sure to ignite a passion for science and learning. Museum of Art holds an impressive collection of American and Cuban artists intermingled with new art exhibit rotations. While Antique Car Museum will showcase the glorious past of formerly manufactured luxury Packard automobiles.
10. Hugh Taylor Birch State Recreation Area – Hugh Taylor who was a lawyer before he retired in a once small village of Fort Lauderdale in 1893 built a large ocean front house which he later donated to the city including surrounding lands creating one of the favorite urban parks in Florida. Nearly perfect place to escape crowded Fort Lauderdale streets and immerse yourself in a serenity of a lush tropical paradise right in the middle of urban lifestyle. Some of the popular park activities include picnicking, fishing, swimming, canoeing and exploring rich flora and fauna.