Top 10 Destinations For Backpacking South America
Backpacking South America can be a daunting and exhilarating trip. To help narrow down the places to see the following top 10 destinations has been created. So whether you’re going to travel to Peru or visit Bogota this list can help you decide on places to go.
1. Inca Trail to Machu Picchu – Machu Picchu is the lost city of the Incas and is regarded as a highly religious and sacred location.
2. Amazon River Basin – The Basin stretches all the way to the surrounding countries from Northern Brazil. While visiting the Amazon River Basin it is likely you will see a variety of wildlife including piranhas, anacondas, tapirs, pink river dolphins, caymans and, perhaps, even elusive jaguars.
3. Easter Island – Technically it is a part of Oceania Pacific region, this Chile’s territory, Easter Island, is known for the large sculptures spread out throughout the island. Hiking is a great way to explore the island and see these magnificent statues.
4. Carnival in Rio – Carnival in Brazil is said to be the party of a lifetime. Its main playground is in Rio de Janeiro, but Carnival itself is celebrated throughout the country.
5. Galapagos Islands – The islands are known for their giant tortoises, sea iguanas and other unique sea creatures. Visitors can also swim with dolphins. There are many interesting things to do in Puerto Ayora Galapagos.
6. Patagonia – People backpacking South America have to stop in Patagonia. This region has diverse landscaping such as glaciers, lakes, and mountains.
7. Salar de Uyuni – Home of the world’s largest salt flat that encompasses an astounding 4,045 miles.
8. Lake Titicaca – Lake Titicaca is South America’s largest freshwater lake measuring over 8,300 square miles. The lake is considered a sacred place among the indigenous people of the area. It is famous for floating man-made islands, where tourists can stay with friendly Uro tribe.
9. Iguassu Falls – Iguassu Falls located on the border of Brazil and Argentine is made up of 275 waterfalls surrounded by beautiful lush tropical forests.
10. The Pantanal – The Pantanal is located in Brazil and is a swamp that features a huge variety of wildlife such as exotic birds, snakes, and wild boar.
Backpacking in South America is exhilarating and is one of the most popular places to visit along with backpacking around India. You’ll sure to be in for adventure and beauty by visiting the above locations.