Top 10 Austin Nightlife Hot Spots
If you are looking for Austin nightlife and hot spots, you have come to the right place. This is a city that is absolutely brimming with activity during the day, but unlike many other southwestern towns, it only ramps up when the sun goes down.
The top 10 Austin nightlife hot spots are:
1. Broken Spoke – If you are looking for fun things to do in Austin after nightfall, head on over to the Broken Spoke honky-tonk dance hall and spend the night on the huge dance floor. They always have a live band and play lots of legendary music. You can also get a peek at the museum on the premises.
2. Continental Club – This is the place where Austin live music can really be heard, without excessive noise. True music lovers come here to listen to blues, country, jazz and rock. The interior is 1957 retro and the crowd is more laid back.
3. Speakeasy – As the name suggests, this is more like one of the demure Austin night clubs, than a rockabilly. It’s quiet, reserved and relaxing. They still play lots of live music, but it’s more subdued like those who appreciated prohibition and that era.
4. Antone’s – This is a world-famous night club that plays, mostly blues music by such great heavyweights as B.B. King, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Buddy Guy. It is a legendary venue with numerous awards under its belt and won nightclub of the year.
5. Blues on the Green – This is one of the many free things to do in Austin at night. These are annual summer concerts sponsored by KGSR Radio. Located at Zilker Park, you can enjoy lots of live music, bring your own good, blankets or chairs and rock out for hours.
6. Cactus Cafe – If you want to step away from the Austin bars and want something more personal and intimate, try the Cactus Cafe where acoustic music is on the venue continually. It is a highly respected club with a growing reputation for showcasing excellent talent.
7. Alamo Drafthouse – Pretty cool Austin nightlife choice, in that it is a movie theater that serves great food selections and even better, beer. They often provide unique movies, like silent movies combined with live music. They also show films featuring certain foods and offer those choices on their dinner menus.
8. The Highball – For adults only, this is a bowling alley, karaoke bar with poker thrown in. They also have a ballroom for parties featuring live bands and music. To top it off, they provide scrumptious adult cocktails and fantastic food choices. It’s a different type of Austin nightlife that is the only one in existence in this town.
9. Elephant Room – Located on Congress Ave, this is more like a jazz bar than anything else. They don’t have food, but the ambiance is overwhelming. True artists jump on stage and perform hip poems and clever music ensembles.
10. Cedar Street Courtyard – This nightclub has both outdoor and indoor sections. It’s like a martini bar, but within the Warehouse District. You can find live music, a cigar lounge and specialty drinks and martinis made to order.