Top 10 Amusement Parks in New York
The State of New York presents an assortment of ultimate vacation destinations. From cosmopolitan New York City with its ubiquitous list of cultural and urban venues, to gorgeous Niagara Falls attractions, to historical Catskills and outdoorsy Adirondacks, the Empire State captivates its visitors and never lets go. However, if you are looking for ultimate entertainment the whole family will enjoy, look no further than amusement parks in New York.
To learn what the best amusement parks in New York have to offer read our review of top 10 hottest and most popular adventure destinations. Only here will you experience the most high tech blood pumping rollercoasters, nerve tickling thrill rides, family friendly activities by the lake, cool water slides in water parks in New York and classical old fashioned carnival rides to cherish for a lifetime.
1. Six Flags Great Escape – Located in Lake George, New York you will find one of the finest and largest amusement parks in New York. The Great Escape features six large rollercoasters, including its signature Comet which was rated many times as one of the fastest and coolest rides in the world that recently marked its 80th anniversary. Once you board the Comet you will be taken on a joy ride of your lifetime at speeds of over 50mph and will drop at heights of over 80ft. In addition to these super cool rides, you will find several themed zones such as German themed Fest area, International Village and Storytown, Kidzopolis and Timbertown. Additionally, guests’ admission price includes visiting park’s own water park called Splashwater Kingdom boasting splash zones, wave pool and seven water slides of varying intensity.
2. Playland – Located in Rye, NY, this park is nothing short of fantastic providing its guests with over 50 rides and attractions for big and little people, adrenaline junkies, weak at heart and everyone in between. Its star rollercoaster is definitely Dragon Coaster taking you on a 3400 ft long journey and dropping you at a maximum of 128 ft down right in a gaping mouth of a fire breathing Dragon. For less adventurous riders there are plenty of other less challenging and intense rides to bring delight for the whole family like Gondola ride and old fashioned carousel. For visitors with smaller children, there are almost 20 various rides, activities and attractions to keep the little ones busy.
3. Seabreeze Amusement Park – It’s location in Rochester, NY in close proximity to Lake Ontario, makes Seabreeze one of the best places to visit in New York State for the whole family. On its menu of attractions visitors will choose among almost 70 various rides, coasters, water slides and experiences they will not soon forget. Make certain to ride park’s historical Jack Rabbit Rollecoaster that has been delighting customers for over 80 years. This wooden rollercoaster will whoosh you around ups and downs, wild turns and a dramatic 75 ft drop to tickle your nerves. Park’s own Raging Rivers water park is a great way to chill off during hot New York summers.
4. Darien Lake Amusement Park – Park is part of a mega size resort offering a myriad of attractions including a theme park, Water Park, golfing, camping and live shows. Darien Lake theme park boasts 7 large rollercoasters, 14 flat thrill rides, 12 kids appropriate rides and several special thrill attractions at extra charge like go carts, miniature golf and paddle boats. Darien Lake Water Park is a great place to cool off in a Crocodile Isle wave pool, pirate ship kiddie splash zone, heated lazy river and 7 cool water slides.
5. Adventureland – Located on the Long Island, Adventureland is your ultimate family fun destination for arcade games, bumper cars, train rides, merry go rounds and mild and moderate intensity thrill rides. One of the kid friendly amusement parks in New York offers no rollercoasters which may scare children insuring loads of fun for the whole family. During the hot weather there’s nothing better than cooling off at the Adventure Falls, Little Dipper or Crocodile Run water rides providing lots of soaking fun. For older toddlers, Adventureland has 10 super cool age appropriate rides that are safe and will be enjoyed by kids who are at least 48”tall.
6. Luna Park Coney Island – Historical amusement park with rich past that goes back to 1900’s that changed owners many times, survived several fires to finally become one of popular amusement parks in New York. Luna Park operates 19 rides manufactured by an Italian company named Zamperla, including 6 thrill rides, 7 family rides and 6 kid appropriate attractions. Recently a new Scream Zone was added on to the existing Luna Park grounds welcoming 6 more rides and rollercoasters including high intensity Boardwalk Flight and extreme experience Slingshot where riders enclosed in a cage are shot 40 meters up the air with bungee cords.
7. Little Amerricka – This is a great opportunity for parents and even grandparents to remember their youth and experience the rides of their childhood. Little Amerricka is a unique amusement park located in Marshall, NY allowing visitors to ride some of the oldest restored rides and rollercoasters from the days. One of the oldest signature rides to try you will not experience anywhere else is Tobagoon or perhaps you want to try your luck at classical wooden Meteor coming back from the 50’s. In addition to all that old fashioned fun, there’s much more like bumper cars and boats, mini golf and loads more.
8. Martin’s Fantasy Island – Amusement park and water park in one! 3 large rollercoasters including its signature Silver Comet wooden coaster and a myriad of varying intensity thrill rides, and kid attractions. Limitless selection of waterslides, a wave pool, lazy river and kids’ splash zone make any New York vacation a treat.
9. Midway State Park – Facing gorgeous Chautauqua Lake, this amusement park is considered one of the oldest surviving parks in the State of New York. Family oriented attractions are sure to please visitors of virtually all ages. Retro carousel rides, carnival style attractions, miniature golf are just a short list of features you will find at the Midway State Park.
10. Deno’s Wonder Wheel Park – This small and super family friendly amusement is not to be missed if you are touring Coney Island. It offers 2 adult thrill rides, a Kiddie Park featuring 17 various attractions. Its signature attraction Wonder Wheel is an exaggerated Ferris Wheel Ride elevating you from the ground to the beauty of the surrounding Coney Island Brooklyn, NY grounds.