Top 10 Agra Tourist Attractions Not to Miss
Agra is the capital of the Mughal (Mogul) Empire which left a tremendous imprint by erecting incredible buildings, forts, temples and mosques. Home to not just one but three World Heritage Sites (mentioned on the top of the list), Agra draws millions of annual visitors despite city’s serious pollution and hordes of annoying touts on the streets. Let’s take a look at which top 10 Agra tourist attractions should not be missed during your next visit to India.
1. Taj Mahal – One of the most popular Agra tourist places is the Taj Mahal, the monument created because of undying love of Shah Jahan to his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal. One of the New Wonders of the World, it’s constructed from the purest white marble brought from various parts of Asia showcasing some of the best examples of Muslim architecture exquisitely adorned with frescoes, gemstones, calligraphy carved in stone and much more.
2. Red Fort Agra – Another World Heritage Site, this fort was originally built for military use and protection, but is now a masterpiece of architecture and wonder. Shah Jahan renovated it and added his construction material of choice, white marble, and lavish interior decor. Little did he know that Agra Fort would later become his prison following his overthrowing by his son in 1658.
3. Fatahpur Sekri – Though this landmark is not located within the city walls of Agra but on the outskirts, it’s always included in Agra tours as it’s the third World Heritage Site in Agra district. Translated as the City of Victory, Fatahpur Sekri is an astonishing collection of buildings, structures and the biggest mosque in the country, Jama Masjid.
4. The Taj Museum – The Taj Museum is filled with fascinating Taj Mahal facts, artifacts, and history. The museum is a popular tourist attraction that draws people from around the globe.
5. Mahtab Bagh Park – Simply a must to visit among Agra tourist attractions due to its location across from the majestic Taj Mahal and its gardens. Perfect symmetry which Shah Jahn was so enthralled with aligns Taj Mahal gardens with the gardens of Mahtab Bagh creating a perfect place to view Agra’s iconic attraction.
6. Akbar Mausoleum in Agra – Located several miles outside the city limits, it’s one of the most beautiful Agra tourist attractions constructed from the red sandstone and marble. The mausoleum is a large building combining the finest exmamples of Muslim and Indian architectural designs.
7. The Jawab – The Jawab is one of the popular Agra tourist attractions, drawing numerous visitors each day. This is identical to the Mosque, only placed on the right side of the Taj Mahal. The Jawab is not used for praying because of the direction it faces, but was included for symmetry.
8. The Anguri Bagh – These gardens are a common stop with many Golden Triangle tours in India. The gardens are formal, and geometrically arranged for the most impressive presentation.
9. Itimad Ud Daulah – The tomb of the grandfather of the beloved wife of Shah Jahan who served as as emperor predecessor’s chief minister. There are plenty of names that are associated with this marvelous architectural creation which is sometimes referred to as the Baby Taj. It will certainly remind you of Taj Mahal once you see its white marble walls. This makes it one of the most popular Agra tourist attractions.
10. Swami Bagh – Another tomb that deserves to be mentioned among the rest of Agra tourist attractions due to its religions importance. This tomb became the final resting place for the father of the Radha Swami Faith and is regularly frequented by tourists and visitors to look at its fabulous architectural decor elements.