Skiing in Switzerland – 5 Best Places in The Alps!
Skiing in Switzerland takes you to some of the most picturesque resorts in the world, towering mountains, beautiful open spaces, lakes, streams and of course, plenty of the white stuff to play in. With so many of the most famous peaks in the country, it is no wonder the Alps are a favorite vacation destination for so many the world over. Here are the top 5 resorts to check out for amazing skiing in Switzerland.
1. Grindelwald. Home to the famous Eiger Glacier and the Wetterhorn, this resort in the middle of the country offers over 120 miles of runs that accommodate everyone from the beginning skier to those who wish to test the limits of their endurance with helicopter skiing. Home to some of the best helicopter skiing runs in the world and also a World Heritage Site for its magnificent surroundings, Grindelwald is sure to make anyone’s list of the best places for skiing, not only in Switzerland but in the world.
2. Zermatt. You can ski year round in this area that is synonymous with skiing in Switzerland. The areas of Sunegga and Gornergrat come alive in the winter months, while the Theodul Glacier offers skiing through the warm summer months. Zermatt is famous for its fresh, clean air, its challenging runs and its fabulous moguls, not to mention the natural ice skating rinks, the climbing, hiking and paragliding opportunities and its impeccable beauty. Oh, did we forget to mention that the world famous Matterhorn is there as well? No wonder it continuously makes the grade for the best skiing areas in the country.
3. Another of the most picturesque resorts in the country is found at Murren. A beautiful place to visit in Switzerland, it is also a great place to ski. This postcard perfect resort is reached by cable car and offers the best snow and runs for those advanced skiers. Ski the Eiger, the Monch or the Jungfrau Mountains within their 52 km of runs, replete with 6 cable cars, 7 chair lifts, 3 railways and 2 rope lifts. Murren is also great for those who don’t have as much skiing experience and is a wonderful place to sled, toboggan and snowboard as well.
4. Arosa is a beautiful Switzerland ski resort that is more isolated than the rest but that offers a great getaway for those nature lovers among us. Summer and winter, the skiing in Switzerland is abundant with 50 miles of pristine runs and a village that is safe, cosy and great for families looking to ski and have fun in a less crowded atmosphere.
5. Saas-Fee, nestled in the southwest of the country is home to some of the best Swiss Alps snowboarding and is located next to Zermatt. It is also home to the highest mountain in Switzerland, the Dom. 22 lifts, 3 cable cars, 2 chairlifts and a railway get you to the snowy action that is operational year round.
Whether you are partaking in Switzerland tours or are just experiencing skiing in Switzerland by yourself, these 5 distinct resorts offer everyone a trip to remember.