Old Tucson Studios: Top 10 Things To Do!
A trip to Old Tucson Studios is like traveling back in time to the Old West when things were thrilling and exciting. It has captured all of the spirit and adventure including saloon bar fights, gunfights, presentations on history, rides, tours and games. Plus, more than you could imagine.
Since the studio sits on the outskirts of Saguaro National Park, you could actually have two adventures in one day. Just get an early start or look for a tour that provides access to both.
When you are in the area, you must make it a priority to stop and pay a visit to Old Tucson Studios and spend a few hours with your family pondering the way things were long ago.
To serve as your guide, here is the list of the top 10 things to do at Old Tucson Studios:
- Visit the Old Tucson Story Museum – Your first stop in Old Tucson Studios should be this museum that will provide you with the history of Tucson. Here you see legendary costumes from major TV shows including Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie.
- Ride a horse – Since most Arizona tourist attractions feature beautiful scenery, this is the best way to experience them with your family. The wranglers are more than happy to arrange a trail ride along the massive 40 acres of desert panoramas.
- Watch a movie – If you’re lucky, you might just catch a glimpse of a television show or Hollywood movie being filmed that day. Although they tend to section off some areas, you can still watch at a close enough distance.
- Go panning for gold – This is a long-time tradition of the Old West as prospectors came for miles looking to become rich. You and our kids can experience what is was like as you take tin pans and try to find a few golden nuggets.
- Try your aim at Dead-Eye Dan’s Shooting Gallery – Virtually everyone, no matter the age recalls how the gunfighters in the Old West seemed to have the perfect aim. This is the best way to test your skills by having your own shootout featuring a large collection of moving and stationary targets.
- Take a ride on the train – Old Tucson Studios is the home of The C.P. Huntington Train that encircles the area within the Sonora Desert. You will enjoy the scenery and time to rest, while the kids take in the sights.
- Take photos – Other things to do in Tucson include taking pictures and this studio is perfect for capturing the events of the day. At Old Tucson’s Print and Photo Emporium, you can dress up in vintage clothing and pose for a variety of photos.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth – Phoebe’s Sweet Shoppe has a large assortment of handmade cotton candy and fudge. You can even find old-school candy there like Mary Jane’s, Clark Bars, Wax Bottles and Caramel Creams.
- Pick up some memorabilia – At McLintock’s Store, you can find all kinds of treasures including rifles, cowboy hats, saddles, cap pistols and even spurs. You can also find classic items like raw sugar and corn meal that they used in almost every dish in the west.
- Have a snack or meal, western style – Unlike most hotels in Tucson, the Grand Palace Hotel and Saloon still reminds you of the real Old West. They provide cool drinks and snacks while the live entertainment or films help keep the feeling alive.