7 Things To Do in Yuma Locals Recommend!
You may not realize the number of things to do in Yuma, especially since it is such a small and quiet town. In fact, with a population of less than 100,000 and a size of only about 100 square miles, most people only remember one thing about this city and that’s the famous movie.
While 3:10 to Yuma was indeed an interesting movie, times have changed and people have begun to broaden their minds. Today, the things to do in Yuma do pay homage to the past, but many more provide a glimpse into the beauty of this city that has continued to attract more visitors every year.
When you come to town, take a few hours to see the top 7 things to do in Yuma that the locals recommend. Here they are:
1. Head over to Yuma Territorial Prison – Yes, you should see this prison. It is filled with history and to appreciate the future, you should not forget the past. Many locals believe this prison put them on the map. It opened during 1876 and during that time, approximately 3069 inmates called it home. It remained open until 1909. Later, it became a high school, ironically enough and they called the students their criminals. Today it is a landmark that reminds all who live there and those who visit the importance of preserving history.
2. Take a hot air balloon ride – If you want adventure, this is one of the things to do in Yuma that allows you to see the entire city, which gives you a different perspective. You can see the gorgeous landscapes, rivers and of course, the bridge to nowhere. You can also appreciate just how much wildlife and farm lands are in this part of Arizona. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just the desert.
3. Listen to some cool jazz – Not many people realize that the Yuma Jazz Company even exists and they perform at the Harkins Theater nightly. One of the things to do in Yuma that is unexpected is to purchase a ticket and listen to them play a live performance of some of the classics, like Louis Armstrong and John Coltrane.
4. Have a great meal – The Market Wine Bar Bistro is one of the top Yuma restaurants. They offer a great variety of fresh seafood, like Seared Halibut and Opah. They also have choice steaks including Filet Mignon, Prime Rib and Tenderloin. Although the food is exceptional, the prices are very reasonable.
5. Go to the Zoo – You might not automatically think of things to do in Arizona that involve going to the zoo, but the Wild World Zoo and Camel Farm is no ordinary zoo. In fact, they have an enormous petting zoo, which really appeals to the smaller kids. They focus on camels more than any other animal here, so you will get a real education when it comes to these loveable animals.
6. Take a tube ride – Many of the hotels in Yuma, AZ have specials for tubing down the Lower Colorado River. This is a big attraction because it gets so warm during certain months and this section remains much cooler. The scenic beauty is unmatched and the river is calm enough for you to really enjoy yourself.
7. Visit the historic downtown spots – Yuma has an amazing historical section where you can shop and even attend a street fair, if you’re lucky. They also have wonderful surprises along the patios and courtyards like locals selling handmade crafts and authentic food.