5 Best Weekend Getaways From Mumbai – Where To Go?
Are you looking for weekend getaways from Mumbai? You should be aware that there are dozens of ways you can enjoy your time in India, even if you only have a few days to do so.
Weekend getaways from Mumbai are also very cost-effective because it is in a south-central area of India. There are a number of cities you can travel to in just a few hours. Or, if you prefer, you can simply hop a flight and be in Delhi in only two hours.
Weekend getaways from Mumbai are best when you separate them into categories, like Adventure, Wildlife, Honeymoon or Off-Beat. This will help you determine faster what to do and how much it will cost.
The 5 best weekend getaways from Mumbai are:
1. Alibag – One of the top places to visit in Mumbai because it is close by and is a beach environment. Here you can relax and let the soothing sounds of the sea soak in. You can spend time at Kanakeshwar Devasthan Temple once you have had your fill of the sun and surf. You can also visit a number of the forts that call Alibag home. It only takes a couple of hours by car to reach Alibag from Mumbai.
2. Panchgani – At just under 4 hours driving time, weekend getaways from Mumbai to Panchgani will have you feeling like you are in another part of the world. This is a scenic area that is filled with marvelous views and breathtaking landscapes. The major highlights include Rajpuri Caves, Parsi Point and Karthikeya Temple. You can also go paragliding, horseback riding and explore other activities you find exiting and adventurous.
3. Elephanta Island – An Elephanta Caves tour is not going to wear you out because it’s right in the same city, but because of the vast size of the grounds and the intricacies of the network of sub caves, you will really enjoy spending a couple of days here. There is so much to see that most experts actually advise more than one day. You should be able to arrive at a nice hotel early enough to unpack then head over to the caves for a few hours.
4. Maharashtra – You may want to schedule a flight to see the Ajanta Ellora caves if you are leaving from Mumbai it takes a little less than 7 hours by car, but what a way to spend your weekend. These 30 caves pay homage to Buddhism and have wonderful Indian art, especially the paintings. They also have marvelous displays of Buddha.
5. Badami Aihole – Finally, this city is the furthest from Mumbai, at 9 hours by car, so you will want to find a cheap round trip flight. However, there are some excellent places to see that make some of the Mumbai tourist attractions pale in comparison. The historical sites of Pattadakal, Hampi and Aihole can all be visited in a day or two because they are all intertwining. That means your weekend trip will be spent in three cities, not one.