5 Best Outer Banks Attractions
The Outer Banks area off the North Carolina coast is a chain of pristine barrier islands and an ideal vacation spot, full of uniquely Outer Banks attractions. Home of the high-flying Wright brothers and the site of England’s first-ever attempt at an American colony, the Outer Banks’ sandy shores are a beautifully preserved reminder of days gone by and a serene locale for outdoor Outer Banks weddings, which are understandably commonplace. For those planning a relaxing vacation on the Atlantic coast, here is a list of the five best Outer Banks attractions:
1. Choose a lighthouse from the several Outer Banks lighthouses this area has to offer: Currituck Beach, Bodie Island, Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke or Roanoke Marshes, climb to the observation deck, and take in a breathtaking panoramic view.
2. Visit the Wright Brothers National Memorial to learn all about the first flight and see a life-sized replica of the 1903 airplane brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright used for their premier venture. While you’re there, be sure to make the extra footwork to the top of the hill to view the granite marble monument in honor of the brothers Wright.
3. Take a hike at Jockey’s Ridge State Park and soak up the breathtaking ocean views from atop the largest active dune system east of the Mississippi. Get an education on sand and dune migration as you take in the scenery.
4. Of all the Outer Banks attractions, the most historic and personal to the area is the Lost Colony. Learn the story of Sir Walter Raleigh’s tragic and ill-fated attempt to set up and English Colony on the outer banks by watching America’s longest running outdoor drama.
5. No trip to the North Carolina Outer Banks would be complete without taking some time out for the ages-old pastime of some Outer Banks fishing. Outer Banks is packed with expansive fishing piers, perfect for an impromptu day of casting the reel. More serious-minded fishermen should look into the many fishing charters offered by local captains.
Outer Banks is an unspoiled haven for those interested in settling into a relaxing and slow-paced time away from home. Options for Outer Banks vacation rentals are plentiful, ranging from beachfront homes, condos set in the wilderness, and hotels/resorts that are central to it all. Take note of these Outer Banks attractions and plan on getting away from it all for a while.